nitrates kicking in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clandon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey everyone,

all of you have helped out a great deal and I thank all of you. I have another question; my nitrates are somewhere in between 5 and 10 now. I was wondering when it would start to eat up the nitrites/amonia. Those are still pretty strong. I'm about to do another PWC to help that out right now.

thanks,

well, I don't know the "exact" levels, as the colors are kind of in between the two on all of them.

amonia b/w 2 and 4 (will do a pwc soon)
nitrites b/w 1 and 2
nitrates b/w 5 and 10
haven't done ph

Are you using a Master Test Kit?

The ammonia is VERY high. Are you going fishless? Have you tested the Ammonia out of the tap?

Yes, I'm using that kit.

The amonia is high. I currently have fish in there. 2 sharks, 3 tetras and some platies. Also have some plants in there. The fish actually seem very happy though.

I just tested my tap water and there actually is amonia... and there's actually a reading b/w 1 and 2... I was not aware of that. Would the nitrites/nitrates eat up the amonia from the tap? or do I need to apply something to the water. The reading is closer to one btw.

I'm not too farmiliar with how to treat Ammonia from the tap. Maybe someone else can chime in on how to rid the ammonia before putting it into your tank.

That is indeed a very high level of NH3. I have doubts about the reliability of your test kits. Normally, when you get the level of nitrate you mentioned, there isn't any detectable NH3. Also, that level of NH3 coming out of your tap is quite toxic in itself. I would do the PWC, and take a water sample to your LFS ask for the specific values when they do the test and show them to you. Also, check the expiration dates on your test kits.

i also have chloramines in my tap water..not that high though...mine its about 0.25-0.50ppm...still...all you have to do is just add the amount of water conditioner that neutralizes chloramine (most of them have one dose for chlorine and another one for chloramines in the instructions) i personally use prime and i cycled both my tanks with tap water...and i test the tank water right after a water change and is all gone...so if u have 2-4ppm ammonia in your tank and 1-2ppm (which is indeed quite high) in your tap then go ahead and do a water change...your fish will appreciate it... :D ...chloramines are bad news...and seems to me that more and more municipalities are choosing to use it since its more stable than plain old chlorine... :( ...

Can't find a test kit expiration date. I try to do the tests as accurate as possible, so in case it's defective, then those tests are accurate. I'll take some samples up to the LFS tomorrow of both the tank water and the tap water.

Since there's amonia in my tap water, how can I get rid of it? Or will the nitrates take care of it. This nitrate spike could be pretty recent too, as I haven't checked in a week or so and it was nill last time I checked, before today. Are you saying that once the nitrates are that high, they should almost immidiately kill off the amonia and nitrites?

Thanks for everyones responses.

The truth is, bacterial colonies ingest the NH3, leaving behind NO2, another strain of bacteria ingests the NO2 and leaves behind NO3. So, nitrates do not "get rid" of ammonia.

An ammonia level that high from your tap is very unusual. Can you get a water parameters test result from your local water supply? Usually a link can be found in either the city gov website.

Here's a link to the newest report my water department has;

http://www.ci.arlington.tx.us/water/pdf/2004_Drinking_Water_Quality_Report_revised.pdf

Also, I took some water up to the lfs and they are almost identical to my tests. they use the same test kit as well. I'm going to test in tomorrow again and see how things are. After the pwc last night, the amonia has gone down a lot. I think maybe a little more time may be needed for the cycle, but what do I know. :)

I read the report and the results reveal that you have an identical problem to Patagonia. The chloramines are indeed the culprit.

Using a dechlorinator that removes chloramines will definitely help remove it (most water treatments will do this...check the labels). Aqua-Pure removes both chlorine and chloramines.

Yeah, now that you know, you will not have any problems...plus, your cycle is almost complete.

I had a feeling it was Chloramines. This seems to always be the culprit of high Ammonia levels in tanks that really shouldn't have them.

You just have to use a decent dechlorinator that also neutralizes or removes chloramines. Prime and Amquel+ come to mind.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm using Aqua Safe, which is supposed to take care of the Chloramines. I'll keep an eye on the water the next few days. I'm ready for the cycle to complete so I can add some new fish. :)

Alright... Checked levels last night and NH3 is just about undetectable. Nitrites are still high (max on the test kit), but the nitrates are up. I'm thinking this tank will be cycled soon. :)

regarding the NO2 spike... is it necessary for me to do a PWC or should I just let it be while it's working?

Back
Top Bottom