Nitrates too high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

App

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What's the best way to lower nitrAtes? I'm in the middle of an algae bloom and my tank parameters are:
NH3 0 ppm
NO2 0 ppm
NO3 40-50 ppm

My tank used to always be 0-0-10. Is there a best way to do this? Water change I spose.

To get the nitrAtes down you will have to do a water change for now. You could add plants in the future that will use it up.

I have some java moss and java fern (i think) in there right now. They're both not looking good. What could be the reason for this? It's a 10g with duel 25w lights. What could I be lacking?

50W on a 10g tank?

That's a lot of light. You should wander into the planted section. But basically, that's way too much light for not being more planted, running CO2, and ferts.

That much light is also why you're probably seeing an algae bloom

App --

The 25w lights are incandescent tubes? Give off a yellowish color? What is the temp in your tank?

Do a few large water changes over the next few days to get the algae and nitrates under control. If they are incandescent lights, likely it is not quite like 50w of CF or HO or other flouresent lighting. The K rating is very very low, and unusable light to most plants...but not algaes.

What kind of livestock do you have? How many fish and what kinds? Adding anything to the tank? What are you feeding and how much and how often?

Back
Top Bottom