Nitrite levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baddog671

Aquarium Advice Activist
Posted this in my other thread but it was getting buried on the page. This title is a bit more relevant...

All of these vials are tested for nitrite, with the card as a reference and a white background.
#1 is the tap water I'm using, looks to be 0ppm.

#2 Thursday, 7pm, water in the tank before I did a big WC. I had been doing 1/3 WC each day for at least 3 days prior to this test, and yet the nitrite is closer to red than purple. Unable to read ppm.

#3 was after a big WC on Thursday around 8pm, atleast 2/3. Dropped to ~1ppm.

#4 Friday around 3pm, after an even bigger WC. Took fish out and removed no less than 3/4 of the water. Results....increased to 2-5ppm
img_2661218_0_3e1920a4acb8d4df878a759d1a0f366f.jpg

I would definatly get the nitrite levels down some more. Is it fish-in or fish-less. Either way it would be beneficial to do another pwc.

On the last WC I took the water level down all the way to the gravel, and then filled it to the top. And that resulted in still high nitrite levels?
-
Ammonia is usually about 0-.25 when I check it

When my tank was cycling it was the same way. I was aggravated...lol. I kept doin wc until nitrite was around .50-1ppm. I was doing a fish-less cycle however. Wasn't long after that ..maybe a week and a half, ammo was 0 as well as nitrites.

My nitrite spiked on the 10th, so it's been about 12 days. I just did two 1/3 wc's back to back, and then gave it a dose of Prime.

Did you add a bunch of fish all at once to the newly cycled tank? If so, it's possible the BB was overwhelmed & you are experiencing cycling again or a mini cycle. What's the tank size? What fish are in it; type & #'s of each? What's the filtration? Have you changed out any filter media? When doing a water change with nitrites that high I would do a minimum of a 50% water change, wait an hour or so & do another 50% (minimum) water change. That should bring your nitrites down to 0 or at least VERY close to 0.

Did you add a bunch of fish all at once to the newly cycled tank? If so, it's possible the BB was overwhelmed & you are experiencing cycling again or a mini cycle. What's the tank size? What fish are in it; type & #'s of each? What's the filtration? Have you changed out any filter media? When doing a water change with nitrites that high I would do a minimum of a 50% water change, wait an hour or so & do another 50% (minimum) water change. That should bring your nitrites down to 0 or at least VERY close to 0.
Sorry for the delayed response, I needed a day or two to do some water changes and get some more information. I will try to be as detailed as I can. I got the nitrite back to almost normal tolerances, but the amount of work to do so was obscene...

My tank is about 6 weeks old. Ammonia stays yellow 0-.25ppm lately, nitrites off the charts, and nitrates are always orange so 5-20ppm. 76 degrees, and pH is upper 7 range. I've slowly added a few different fish, most have been fine. Only deaths I've had was neon tetras, but I didn't realize they are NOT good candidates for tanks that aren't aged. Currently I'm a bit full, I'm returning 4 back to my LFS.

3 neon tetra
3 red-eye tetra
4 buenos aires tetra
1 pair lyretail mollies
1 baby pleco

Again, here is the picture from last Thursday, all nitrite readings. Vial #1 is tap water, vial #2 is tank water (1/3 WC each day for a few days prior to this reading), vial #3 is after a big 2/3 WC, and vial #4 is after an even bigger 3/4 WC.
img_2664844_0_839110a5258794dc0340e5b8b935b827.jpg

I did a series of WC yesterday, Tuesday around noon. Vial #1 is tank water, vial #2 is after a 1/2 WC, vial #3 is after another 1/2 WC, and vial #4 is after yet another 1/2 WC. A 1/2 WC is about 8 gallons. I did the math on my tank when it was still empty, and it maxes out at 18.9g when filled to the lip. Given gravel, décor, fish, and the fact it doesn't get that full, I'm probably around 16-17g water.
img_2664844_1_b2ea26b2ba88de9e19f68e0d1e6b1d04.jpg

Today, Wednesday morning, I did another series of WC, this time 9 gallon intervals instead of 8. Also thoroughly cleaned out the gravel to remove wastes. My Buenos aires tetras like to poop! Vial #1 is tank water, vial #2 is after 1/2+ WC, vial #3 is after another 1/2+ WC, and vial #4 is after yet another 1/2+ WC.
img_2664844_2_23de70fbef4f527c6a56c42e2a823a94.jpg

Everything is clean, there is no uneaten food, and whatever poop that was present is gone. I bumped up my aeration to ensure oxygen levels are fine. None of the fish "breathe heavy".

Today I discovered that the inside of my filter has an accumulation of scum in it, which wasn't there last week. I have a Tetra 30-60, which does a pretty good job. I haven't changed the media, but around week 2 or so I made a stupid move and rinsed out the media with hot water...

img_2664844_3_acb64a74f5e2754d6159972848e5056d.jpg

img_2664844_4_bc2e4a2abb02220408d3524fa7d3913f.jpg

:banghead:

So your tank is 6 weeks old and your doing a fish in cycle correct? Did your nitrites spike then go to 0? It sounds to me like you are simply still cycling. It took my 29g for ever to do a fish in cycle. So many PWC's I lost count. I wont do a fish in cycle again but thats just my me.

So your tank is 6 weeks old and your doing a fish in cycle correct? Did your nitrites spike then go to 0? It sounds to me like you are simply still cycling. It took my 29g for ever to do a fish in cycle. So many PWC's I lost count. I wont do a fish in cycle again but thats just my me.

The bolded part is correct. As for the following sentence however, no.

Initially I battled ammonia levels of ~2ppm, while nitrites/nitrates stayed near zero. Then ammonia started dropping one day rather quickly, and nitrites took off very rapidly. One day it was .25-.5, the following day ~2, and the following day 5+ppm. It has been very high since then, which was a touch over 2 weeks ago.

Currently my ammonia tests stay yellow (good), my nitrates orange (fine), but nitrites usually deep purple.

Having high nitrites doesn't bother me so bad as I know it is inevitable. I just simply can't understand if my tap water is reading 0ppm, how can I do 6 big WC in less than 24 hours and it still be purple? The only logical thing I can think of is that my levels get so absurdly high that cutting it multiple times still keeps it dark purple. Like 100 to 50 to 25 to 13 to 6 to 3. But, my fish would assuredly be dead with numbers like that.

Or my testing liquid is bad.....

Also I forgot to mention, I dose the tank with Prime occasionally to help out the situation.

You are doing a 1/3 water change correct?

Try doing no less than 50% whenever you do a water change. You will get a larger amount of reduction when compared to smaller water changes.

Assume you have a 10ppm nitrite level in your tank and do a 30% water change. That is going to drop it down to 7ppm. A second water change will drop it down another 30% to 5 ish. A third 30% change will drop it down to about 3.5.

However if you are doing 50% water changes; the first change drops it down to 5, the second down to 2.5, and the third will drop it down to about 1.25.

You are doing a 1/3 water change correct?

Try doing no less than 50% whenever you do a water change. You will get a larger amount of reduction when compared to smaller water changes.

Assume you have a 10ppm nitrite level in your tank and do a 30% water change. That is going to drop it down to 7ppm. A second water change will drop it down another 30% to 5 ish. A third 30% change will drop it down to about 3.5.

However if you are doing 50% water changes; the first change drops it down to 5, the second down to 2.5, and the third will drop it down to about 1.25.

No, I've been doing 50% lately, which is about 8-9 gallons.

Six 50% water changes in <24hours and still purple....

If your nitrites have never returned to zero after initially spiking then your still cycling. Im not sure what you mean by nitrites are inevitable? When you say you dose the tank with prime occasionally your adding ever time you do PWC right? Adding the dechlorintator any other time then at time of water changes would have much affect (at least i dont think it would).

Back
Top Bottom