Nitrite levels went high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michaels226

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, Need some advice, my nitrite levels went high over the last few days. The fish seem fine but I want to bring it down. It's reading on the (I know, unreliable) test strips between .05 and .1.. basically the danger zone.

All other levels have remained constant in the safe zones or where they should be. Any ideas and suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike! Yep, water change(s). That's the only thing that's going to remove the nitrite. Use dechlorinator -- Prime is best but whatever you have on hand is fine. Try to get it down to <.25; which may take a couple of water changes.

Hi Mike! Yep, water change(s). That's the only thing that's going to remove the nitrite. Use dechlorinator -- Prime is best but whatever you have on hand is fine. Try to get it down to <.25; which may take a couple of water changes.

Excellent. Getting ready to do a water change now. I'm shooting for a 30% to 50% change tonight and I'll do another one tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

Okay, I changed out 50% of the water 4 times. The last time was this morning. I checked the level of nitrites and it was about 2 parts per million. I checked again tonight and the level is down to about .5 parts per million. Just as a precaution, I changed 30% of the water tonight and will check the level again in the morning.

Does this mean that the bacteria are catching up or something else?

.5ppm isn't too bad. mine is at 5.0ppm and my fish is doing okay. so i wouldn't say .5ppm to 1ppm is much of a danger zone. just keep up with your water change! :)

.5ppm isn't too bad. mine is at 5.0ppm and my fish is doing okay. so i wouldn't say .5ppm to 1ppm is much of a danger zone. just keep up with your water change! :)

Sorry but if your nitrite is 5 I wouldn't say your fish are ok at all; just because they might not be exhibiting outward signs it doesn't mean they aren't being affected.

Okay, I changed out 50% of the water 4 times. The last time was this morning. I checked the level of nitrites and it was about 2 parts per million. I checked again tonight and the level is down to about .5 parts per million. Just as a precaution, I changed 30% of the water tonight and will check the level again in the morning.

Does this mean that the bacteria are catching up or something else?

You're doing well! If the nitrites seem to be falling on their own that is a good sign, but it's still a good idea to keep an eye on them and do water changes as needed. Also have you checked your tap water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? If not, do so; some tap water has levels of these in there and it's good to know where you're starting from. Also have you checked nitrates yet? If not, it's a good time to do it, to see if any of the nitrites are being converted to nitrates, which is a sign of cycling.

Sorry but if your nitrite is 5 I wouldn't say your fish are ok at all; just because they might not be exhibiting outward signs it doesn't mean they aren't being affected.

true but he seems to be doing okay =p
my point was that he was still able to survive a 5 ppm nitrite.

true but he seems to be doing okay =p
my point was that he was still able to survive a 5 ppm nitrite.

Depends on the pH of his tank. Under the right conditons 5ppm nitrite is enough to kill fish. General you want to do a water change if the nitrite goes higher then .25ppm.

Depends on the pH of his tank. Under the right conditons 5ppm nitrite is enough to kill fish. General you want to do a water change if the nitrite goes higher then .25ppm.

yah and i have been. I'm still in middle of my fish in cycle for this tank.

Back
Top Bottom