Nitrite question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Impulse09

Aquarium Advice Freak
How long will it take for. 25 nitrite to go to zero. I have had my tank for about 3 weeks how's and thought I was cycled added 5 more fish, I first started out with 6 cory catfish. I think I had a little mini cycle, but it has been stuck on. 25 nitrite for 3 days ammonia is zero, will it go to zero by itself or do I need to do a few water changes?

Three weeks isn't enough time to fully cycle a tank unless you used a lot of seeded media. Is this the first time you're ever seeing nitrite? What is the tank size and what fish are in the tank exactly and how many?

I'd do a 50% water change to get nitrites down below .25. You want to test water and any time ammonia and/or nitrite are over .25 do a water change to get them down. If this is the first time your'e seeing nitrite and the tank is only 3 weeks old you may be starting the nitrite phase. Nitrites may rise fast so water changes are going to be important. There's a link in my signature called "new tank with fish." It'll explain what to do and why.

I had nitrites around the second week that were sky high. Then everything went to 0. I put a heavy dose of prime in the tank and the next for days my nitrites was 0 and so was my ammonia. I have in the tank now 6 cory catfish, 3 diamond tetras, 2 german blue rams. It is a 29 gallon.

Could be a mini-cycle then from adding too many fish too fast (assuming you didn't change or take out anything from the tank like the filter media or change out the gravel?). I'd keep testing the water daily, do water changes to keep nitrite below .25 and it should go back to 0 on its own in a short amount of time once the bacteria catches up to the new heavier load of waste the extra fish are putting out.

Yes I think it is a mini cycle. I did not change anything in the tank. I did a 30% water change last night. This morning I still get a reading 0-.25. It has not gotten any higher than that though.

I think my tank is fully cycled now. My nitrites and ammonia are 0 nitrates is around. They have been zero since Monday. This weekend I am going to pick up some neon tetras, how many should overall I want 9 but I don't know if I should break it up get 5 this week and 4 next week I don't want to set it into a mini cycle again. Currently in my tank I have 6 peppered corys, 3 diamond tetras, 2 german blue rams. What you guys think?

Nitrates are not 0 they are 20. Ammonia and nitrite have been 0 since Monday

This is such a new tank, I'd hold off at least another 2 weeks before adding more fish. Be sure that your tank is cycled and steady.

What size tank is this?

Just the 9 neons added to what I have already. Do u think I can add more?

9 neons 6 cory catfish, 3 diamond tetras, 2 german blue rams

If it were my tank, I wouldn't add anything else, except to bump my tetras up to 6. They actually do better with 8, but you don't have the room, in my opinion.

With the neons, I would bump up the tetras and then call it a day.

You could always see how that works for a while, then add more if it seems you can and the bioload is being managed well.

Back
Top Bottom