Nitrite Spike, when can i put fish back in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it ok to keep 2 angels with 10 black tetras in a 20 gallon tank?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chiclid_Mike

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please read, need answers!

I recently set up a 20-gallon tank for (kind of) an emergency. But, it was a last second choice and the aquarium never really had a chance to cycle, at all. However after the emergency, everything was alright, and i decided to make it into a permenent tank, and put in 2 2-inch angels and 10 black neon tetras. However, since it did not have a chance to cycle, last night they all experienced a nitrite spike and barely survived. (pretty sure it was a nitrite spike, they seemed to be developing ich and by the end of the day where gasping for breath) I transferred them into a bucket and filled it with water from a Blackbelt cichlid tank. No Filter, and amazingly, they survived. They've been in there now for quite a few hours 18+ and want to know if i can put them back, or if i should add a used filter to the [square] bucket and let them pass out the cycling there.

Your 20 gal tank won't cycle unless it has ammonia feeding the bacteria. So you will have to either do fishless, or put them back in the tank. Otherwise, your cycle will die and you'll have to start over from scratch. What are your current water readings (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH) in the 20 gal tank? Also, the used filter that you're talkinga bout, does it have active filter media? Meaning is it still in use? If so, just put that filter on your 20 gal tank. As long as the media has stayed wet from the transport from one tank to yours, then you'll finish out your cycle in no time.

Ok well after reading your post, i have come to this conclusion: i will put the angels and tetras into the 37 that's been cycling for years (i just removed the blackbelt and will be giving her away today) and will take a guppy from my pond, put it in the tank to speed up cycling, and then i will put the guppy back and the angels back into the cycled tank, but, how long should i keep the the guppy in the cycling aquarium?

The problem with that, is that if you only put one guppy in the tank, you are only going to get enough bacteria to handle the waste from one guppy.

If you have place to put the other fish you would be better off fishlessly cycling the tank.

Add some filter media from your other tank to the filter on the new tank that will speed things along.

Rich

just get some ammonia from walmart or something. its called "clear ammonia" if it sells the same stuff

Alright, no guppy, ya, the angels and tetras are in a seperate tank, but i've been checking my poll, and 3 people say no to having 10 tetras and 2 angels, why? Overcrowdedness?

Oh, and the clear ammonia, where in wal-mart would you find it and after it's in the aquarium, how long till the fish can come back?

You are going to want to get pure ammonia. I know they sell it at Hardware stores. You could try asking the people at Wal-Mart, but from my experience at that store, noone works there. :D

The 10 Tetra's in itself is maxing the tank. The 2 angels will need swimming space. It's basically the overcrowdedness.

Angels just get too big for a 20 gallon by themselves. A 29 gallon would be minimum, 55 better.

maybe just the 10 tetras in the 20 gallon, or JUST the 2 angels.. but i would go witht he tetras in the 20 gallon , and the angels with something else in the big tank.

GL and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom