Nitrite test results from API

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Dog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I thought my tank was pretty much cycled. I’m able to convert 2pp ammonia to nitrate in 24 hours according to my api master test kit. However I decided to double check in and bought some tetra test strips just to compare the 2 and the strips are showing 10+ ppm nitrite??? That’s a big difference to 0 ppm nitrite that I’m getting from API?!

I would carefully redo the API test to make sure of minimum error . The strips are known to be iffy at times . If you had 10 ppm nitrite the API would show something .

I’ve done the API test everyday for 3 days now and it still shows 0.... I don’t get it. I was about to shell out 250 dollars for fish from imperial Tropicals tomorrow but now I’m hesitant... I ordered another nitrite kit on amazon and it’s coming tomorrow so I will use another test... maybe my nitrite test is bad? Which would suck because I just bought the whole master kit back in October and the dates are good till 2023

Hello T...

I don't rely on water testing. Though if I had my choice, I'd use Tetra testing strips. Because, there are too many steps with the chemicals and you have to wait too long for results. You don't need to test the water in a cycling tank if you remove a third of the tank water a couple of times a week for three weeks. This allows the bacteria colony to establish and keeps the tank water in the safe zone for the fish. After the three weeks, you modify your water change to half the water weekly for as long as you have the tank. This more aggressive water change routine will allow you to remove the pollutants well before there's time for them to build up and foul the water.

B

BBradbury that’s the first time I’ve heard of that one lol Theres so many ways to cycle a tank. I added DR Tim’s ammonia to speed up the process and used some tetra safe start plus and it looked like it was working great. I also seeded the tank with some media from my sons 20 gallon tank that’s been running for a year. I guess I’ll wait for this other nitrite kit to come tomorrow and test again

T-Dog...

Those chemical bacteria starters can leave you with a tank that's prone to water chemistry swings. I wouldn't trust that stuff. Using something from a reliable, established tank will jump start the cycling process, but you'll need to add fish to the new tank very slowly. Once established, a tank less than 30 gallons could certainly work well with a couple of 50 percent water changes weekly. Remember, a tank with just a few small fish in it still needs most of the water changed regularly if you want to maintain good oxygen and mineral levels in the water.

B

I added some more media from my 20 gallon last night and did a 50 percent water change as well. I’ll do another 50 percent change tonight. I’ll keep adding 1 ppm ammonia because it turns it into nitrite within 12 hours and I’m hoping the extra media I added from my 20 gallon will get the nitrite down. I used prime so hopefully that will help the bacteria catch up and convert it to nitrate. I also have another API nitrite test coming in the mail today so I’ll see if my previous API nitrite test is bad. I’m playing on addding 6- 3” male peacock cichlids once I know I’m cycled

Btw I have 2 A/C 70s running along with a sponge filter so my circulation is pretty good. The tank is a 60 gallon BTW

I have no idea and it’s very frustrating because it’s a new kit. This whole time I’m thinking I’m cycled and keep adding ammonia meanwhile my nitrites are at 10+ ppm... just did another 50 percent water change

Hello, there is a simple way to check tests. if son's tank is cycled use both tests on it & 1 should give a correct reading. Hope this helps!!!!!!
BBradbury that’s the first time I’ve heard of that one lol Theres so many ways to cycle a tank. I added DR Tim’s ammonia to speed up the process and used some tetra safe start plus and it looked like it was working great. I also seeded the tank with some media from my sons 20 gallon tank that’s been running for a year. I guess I’ll wait for this other nitrite kit to come tomorrow and test again

Back
Top Bottom