Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
xD!!! my java ferns arent doing as well tho. i needa get fertilizer. lol ur probably wondering why i havent gotten it yet

xD!!! my java ferns are doing as well tho. i needa get fertilizer. lol ur probably wondering why i havent gotten it yet

I wouldn't worry about ferts for java fern, it's a low light, easy to grow plant. The nutrients in the water will feed it just fine and if you're getting any algae on the leaves (like I had :p), get some Amano Shrimp and they'll clean them up shiny and new lol. My Betta doesn't even look at them, so they're still alive and cleaning.

If you've only noticed the nitrites 1 other time, I don't see how the tank could be cycled. My secondary fishless tank did this last week, and then showed nothing after for another 3 days, then bam right back up again. could just be there isn't a heavy enough bio load to get the cycle in motion properly, and that your plants are altering too much of the water chemistry? just my .02

My Java Ferns look really bad atm and are getting worse.
Idk about the cycled tank tho

Have you tested your local water to see what the parameters are in it right from the tap, and then again after adding the prime or comparible conditioner? sometimes local water itself can throw off a test reading if it has chloramines etc

No plants are going to live long or thrive until you have nitrates in the tank, though they will eat the ammonia and nitrites.

my Java Moss is growing pretty fast. No i havent but ill be sure to do it in the morning. Thanks :]

If you have chloramines in your tap, after adding prime it will convert it to small quantities of harmless ammonium, but still test as a positive for ammo with the test kit. My local tap tests as a .50 after adding prime.

If you've only noticed the nitrites 1 other time, I don't see how the tank could be cycled. My secondary fishless tank did this last week, and then showed nothing after for another 3 days, then bam right back up again. could just be there isn't a heavy enough bio load to get the cycle in motion properly, and that your plants are altering too much of the water chemistry? just my .02

With 1 Betta and a Nerite snail, what bio-load?

Frequency of testing isn't clear either, so unless you're testing daily (multiple times a day?), the cycle may have started and finished in 24 to 36hrs. IMO it's cycled.

My Betta community tank cycled in 36hrs and I never even saw no2 show up. Now that it's well stocked my ammo is 0ppm, no2 0ppm, no3 >.5ppm after 5+ weeks.

With 1 Betta and a Nerite snail, what bio-load?

One betta WILL create more than enough ammonia to begin a cycle.

I am positive the tank is not yet properly cycled.

Back
Top Bottom