Nitrites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robert.trumpet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my 14 gal. Tank now for about 3 weeks and I feel like I'm doing 50% pwc every other day or day. I still haven't seen any nitrites. But the ammonia keeps going to .50 so I do a pwc as I was instructed to do by this forum.

What is your pH? A low pH can stall the cycle sometimes.
Also, if you know anyone who has a tank, see if you can borrow some of their filter media to get those bacteria colonies growing quicker.

Hello Robert. Try doing smaller water changes. When I cycled my first tank, I changed out only about 25 percent of the old water. You want to grow the bacteria. If you remove too much water, there's nothing for the bacteria to live on.

B

Hello again rob...

The point of the "nitrogen cycle" is to grow the bacteria that will eventually use the ammonia and nitrite for food. If you remove large amounts of tank water, you remove these forms of nitrogen the bacteria needs to live and grow. So, if you're starving the bacteria, it can't grow. Make sense?

When you cycle a tank using fish, you choose very hardy fish like female feeder Guppies, White Clouds, Platys, Tiger Barbs or some of the others. These fish don't mind the higher levels of ammonia and nitrite that come from the wastes that dissolve in the tank water. You test the tank water daily and if you have a positive test for ammonia or nitrite, you remove and replace just a quarter of the tank water. This water change gets the water back to a point that's relatively safe for the fish, but leaves enough food for the good bacteria to grow.

You test and change the water for about a month. When several daily tests show no traces of the above forms of nitrogen, your tank is cycled. This means the bacteria has grown to a level that's using all the ammonia and nitrite the fish produce.

Save the large water changes for later when the tank has properly cycled.

Pretty simple.

B

Back
Top Bottom