Nitrites are higher after water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boojumsnark25

Aquarium Advice Regular
was going to get fish tomorrow, just did a water change to get the nitrates down...

before:
ammonia 0
Nitrates 80
Nitrite 0

After
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 30
Nitrite .75

So I accomplished getting the nitrates down, but nitrites went up. I tested my well water and it's fine...no nitrites whatsoever. My question is, is the test just messed up because of all the turbulence of a water change, or did something go terribly wrong?

you read 0 nitrites in your source water? What about ammonia?

How long did you wait after the PWC to test?
You might have ammonia in your well water that converted over to NO2 before you saw it.

If you tested right after the pwc, your results may not be accurate. Wait at least 2 hours before testing.

It's possible you kicked up some crud which released ammonia that was converted to nitrIte. As mentioned wait a couple hours and check. How did you do the FC? (what ammonia source)

7Enigma said:
It's possible you kicked up some crud which released ammonia that was converted to nitrIte. As mentioned wait a couple hours and check. How did you do the FC? (what ammonia source)

straight ammonia

boojumsnark25 said:
7Enigma said:

straight ammonia

Did you use seed material? There really shouldn't be crud on the substrate unless you put some gunk from an established tank (seed) or if you used fish food/shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom