Nitrites at 5.0 but ammonia not going down...Normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gunk

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm doing a fishless cycle. About a week ago i noticed nitrites for the first time. They were .25 with api test kit. Ammonia slowly started to go down from 3-4 and it got to about .5-1.0 so i added a little more to bring it up. Brought it back up to about 3-4. Now it's at 2.0. My nitrites are up to at least 5.0, if not more, though so I thought my ammonia should be getting eliminated in 24 hours by now. Is this normal? I thought once nitrites got that high ammonia is eliminated in a day.

Very high nitrite levels can stall your cycle. I would recommend doing a water change and getting them down to 2-4 ppm. This should help get things back on track.

fort384 said:
Very high nitrite levels can stall your cycle. I would recommend doing a water change and getting them down to 2-4 ppm. This should help get things back on track.

Ok I'll try it in a couple more days. Ammonia seems to be going down, its just going down very slowly. I thought it would be going down much quicker but it just got to 5.0 nitrites a couple days ago so i will see what happens.

When I cycled my 26G tank, something similar occurred, ammonia was going down slowly, but after 4 or 5 day, speed up and start to drop in 24 hours.

When I cycled my 26G tank, something similar occurred, ammonia was going down slowly, but after 4 or 5 day, speed up and start to drop in 24 hours.

Thanks makes me feel better hearing that! I'll post results in a few more days.

Back
Top Bottom