NitrItes gone over night (cycle)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

picture_117

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my nitrItes have been off the charts for some time, about a week ago they lowered but to the very top of the chart about 6 or 7ppm. I a 30% PWC yesterday but I checked the nitrItes and they was still really high. I did a test and they are completely gone! I tested 3 times to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong and every time it's 0ppm, is this possible?

So my nitrItes have been off the charts for some time, about a week ago they lowered but to the very top of the chart about 6 or 7ppm. I a 30% PWC yesterday but I checked the nitrItes and they was still really high. I did a test and they are completely gone! I tested 3 times to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong and every time it's 0ppm, is this possible?

Yep it is. That's what happens, they're up one day and the next they can be at 0. I'd be cautiously optimistic. I'd also redose ammonia if you haven't already and do this for a few days, just to make sure ammonia and nitrites stay at 0 on their own (without water changes). If so, then you can get fish! The night before you plan to buy fish, do a very large water change to make sure nitrates are under 20 (as low as you can get them is best), and turn our heater down, DON'T dose ammonia. :D

Okay so then if NitrAtes are still really high they go down on their own right? or am I supposed to do PWC to bring them down, or both? lol.

Yes I have redosed ammonia and will keep testing no2/ammo.

Okay so then if NitrAtes are still really high they go down on their own right? or am I supposed to do PWC to bring them down, or both? lol.

Yes I have redosed ammonia and will keep testing no2/ammo.

As Eco guide will say, you have to do water changes to get nitrates down; those don't go down on their own (unless you have live plants in the tank). The night before you get fish, do a massive water change to get them down (another if you need to) and make sure they are as low as you can get them. Then, your weekly water changes should keep them down below 20 as long as you don't overstock.

Off topic but wow I just re-read my first post and it's just full of grammar errors and missing words :whistle:

Now!

@Eco, thanks! okay so I will do the nitrite> ammonia test for about 3 days, then I do PWC's until the Nitrates are below 20 correct?

@Librarygirl Okay I will do that! hopefully I'm not being lied to by the BB :D

and if you're using something like a python water changer, be sure to turn off your filters before changing the water so you don't risk killing off that bacteria you waited so long for

So I checked parameters this morning and ammo is down to about 2 from a slight over dose of 5, and nitrites are up to about 3, this is the BB converting ammo > no2 and they should be gone later on correct?

So I checked parameters this morning and ammo is down to about 2 from a slight over dose of 5, and nitrites are up to about 3, this is the BB converting ammo > no2 and they should be gone later on correct?

Most likely yes, you've probably caught the conversion as its happening. Check again tonight (which I assume is the 24 hour mark) and hopefully ammo and nitrite will be 0.

Okay so I did tests right now and Ammonia is completely gone, NO2 is right at 5, I did test on Ammonia at about 7:30 central and it was at about 1-2ppm.

Back
Top Bottom