Nitrites high, nitrates low round 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hbbambislayer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm on like day 11 on my fishless cycle in my 55 gallon aquarium. Ammo drops from 4ppm to basically nothing in about 8 hours, Nitrites are looking like 5ppm maybe more, Nitrates are 10ppm. I have the temperature in the tank at 82 degrees, I have 2 small air stones going, I have 2 fluval 306 filters setup the same bottom basket bio foam, mid biomax, top 1 side biomax 1side purigen, there running at max flow. I'm using Ace Hardware ammo I test water every morning at 8:00am and add ammo as needed. Are these numbers ok been the same for about 5 days I did a 50% water change Sunday to try and bring nitrites to a level I could read still at 5ppm+. I have 15 plants Val's, ferns, anubias, swords. I use prime for water conditioner. Someone asked me what my readings were for the tap water also I said 0 for all but maybe I never tested nitrates because they are 40ppm. So to be safe I tested tank and tap twice b4 I posted this, just want to know if I'm on the right track with the cycle or if something is wrong and what to do please help.

TAP Water ph=7.2. ammo=0. nitrites=0. nitrates=40ppm
TANK water ph=7.6. ammo=4ppm I dosed it up. nitrites=5ppm. nitrates=10ppm

Sounds like your on the right track. I would do more water changes if your nitrite keeps going that high were you cant read it.

As in do one now? How big of one, I've been reading another thread one member was saying close to 100%, seemed like he/she walked the person thru pretty good.

The member who was "coaching" was jlk and seemed extremely helpful to the other member they also suggested backing off the ammo dosage from 4ppm to more like 1 is this something I should also do

HE ok got that cleared up lol, he didn't recommend it to me but to the other member who by reading seems to have been in the same area I was

ok, what he suggested to the other member would work for you as well basically your not giving any time for your nitrite Bac to catch up with the ammo bac. so lowering to dosage will help.

Ok tank almost emptied I'll fill it wait awhile test all then just add 1ppm ammo sound good, I'll post results later see what everyone thinks to do next

2 things 1st thanks for your time with helping me out eased my mind abit too, second emptying tank I discovered a snail musta come from a plant should I get rid of it or is he not a bother?

it could be a pond snail, ramshorn, or MTS. maybe even a apple. if he have lived this far into your cycle he might be all right. if you have a smaller tank you can throw him in there until your tank cycled.

Don't have my quarantine tank yet I was just checking to see if he was bad news in my tank if he means no harm I'll let him be the first inhabitant

I wouldn't dose ammonia at all IMO. An initial dose is ok but after that I would just let the system run.

This is how I ran my set up. Just do weekly water changes and tests. Because your cycling fish less there shouldn't be a need to do daily or every other day changes. Again just my opinion.

For example: You do testing Fri. Sat then do PWC. Test again the next week comparing results from previous week. Then you can make adjustments as necessary.

Cycling seems to be troublesome for a lot of people I think because they can't wait to get fish into their tanks lol

Just have patience and everything should work out. Good Luck!

Could you be more specific on what you meant on the ammonia, it sounds like your saying dose once and that's it wouldn't my BB die off with no ammo?

Your BB wont die off. The premise of using ammonia is to give your cycle a kick start. I say use it once because once its exhausted whats left over are the nitrites. Then once that's exhausted you'll have nitrates. But since you're tank is planted your plants will be consuming those so I'll doubt you'll get a high nitrate reading. Anyways test your tank weekly. Once you get the magic amm 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate below 40 ppm you'll be ready for fish.

But if you keep dosing ammonia, you'll keep getting nitrite.

After the 97% water change this morning I went to bed now I'm up tested water in tank ammo 0 or.25ppm nitrites between 2 and 5 nitrates 10ppm, I didn't add any ammo in reading another thread I'm gonna let it go a couple days see what happens with nitrites this sound ok

If you mean your tank, then yes. Let it run and develop. Once your ammonia and nitrites are zero and you have less than 40 ppm nitrates then you're ready for fish. By reducing your water changes you're allowing your BB to get established and the tank to settle. Remember every situation will be different. I'm just explaining what worked for me. In my opinion by adding ammonia when you're testing at zero already is just a waste. You're just creating mini-cycles.

If the OP is doing a fish-less cycle, then where is the ammonia coming from if he's not dosing it? I didnt read anywhere about him using shrimp or anything like that.
Dont you need an ammonia source to feed the BB?

He's already dosed several times. What I'm saying is if he keeps dosing ammonia he's going to continue to get nitrite readings.

Back
Top Bottom