[Nitrites] Is something wrong or am I just impatient?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tylermc47

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I bought a 40 gallon about a month ago and read on here that a fish less cycle was the best so that I didn’t harm any fish. So, I began adding ammonia to the water about three weeks ago. In about the first week, it was already consuming most of the 4.0 ammonia I was dosing it up to. I then, in the second week, noticed high nitrites and nitrates so, as the instructions told me, I did a 50% water change to bring them down to readable levels. Still, everyday, dosing ammonia back up to 4.0. Fast forward to now, three weeks later, it can completely remove 4.0 ammonia from the tank in less than 24 hours but the nitrites will not go down even the slightest bit for the past two weeks. It has been pretty much off the readable level since a few days after the water change. Nitirates are anywhere from 80 - 160 though. I’m just wondering, is there something wrong or am I just being impatient? Is there any other way to speed it up?

Thanks

Once you detect nitrites you need to cut your ammonia dosing in 1/2 or use same amount every other day..
When 1ppm ammonia converts to nitrite it equals 2.7 ppm nitrite and then 3.6 ppm nitrate.
So with 4ppm amonia you would get 10.8 nitrite [each day if it was converted]. By adding 4 ppm ammonia everyday you are loading up more nitrite then will quickly be handled IMO.
I would reduce your ammonia installed.
I might also change 50%-75% just to see if that lowers the nitirtes to a detectable level that you can read on test?
It will probably work out without any help but may take awhile to convert all those nitrites ....

Back
Top Bottom