Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2018, 11:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

[Nitrites] Is something wrong or am I just impatient?

Hello!

I bought a 40 gallon about a month ago and read on here that a fish less cycle was the best so that I didnít harm any fish. So, I began adding ammonia to the water about three weeks ago. In about the first week, it was already consuming most of the 4.0 ammonia I was dosing it up to. I then, in the second week, noticed high nitrites and nitrates so, as the instructions told me, I did a 50% water change to bring them down to readable levels. Still, everyday, dosing ammonia back up to 4.0. Fast forward to now, three weeks later, it can completely remove 4.0 ammonia from the tank in less than 24 hours but the nitrites will not go down even the slightest bit for the past two weeks. It has been pretty much off the readable level since a few days after the water change. Nitirates are anywhere from 80 - 160 though. Iím just wondering, is there something wrong or am I just being impatient? Is there any other way to speed it up?

Thanks

Old 02-21-2018, 05:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Once you detect nitrites you need to cut your ammonia dosing in 1/2 or use same amount every other day..
When 1ppm ammonia converts to nitrite it equals 2.7 ppm nitrite and then 3.6 ppm nitrate.
So with 4ppm amonia you would get 10.8 nitrite [each day if it was converted]. By adding 4 ppm ammonia everyday you are loading up more nitrite then will quickly be handled IMO.
I would reduce your ammonia installed.
I might also change 50%-75% just to see if that lowers the nitirtes to a detectable level that you can read on test?
It will probably work out without any help but may take awhile to convert all those nitrites ....

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Coral. Especially the big water change. I would be willing to bet your are really close to the end!

Tags
nitrite, nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com