Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

NitrItes not going away

I'm on week 6 and it seems my NitrItes will never go away, here are my reading after doing my 4th 90% water change:

NitrItes: 5.0+ VERY purple
NitrAtes: 20ppm
Ammonia:2.0-3.0ppm
PH:7.8

I have to add ammonia daily to keep it in the 2-4 range, otherwise it goes to 0 in 24 hours. I have my temp set at 86, and plenty of bubbles from a lower water lever and the filters splashing.

Anything else I can do to speed things up, the wait is driving me crazy

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If your tank can go from 4 to 0 in 24 hrs and your nitrites are high and your showing a good nitrate level I would say your good to go
Big pwc and stock

Old 08-28-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle View Post
If your tank can go from 4 to 0 in 24 hrs and your nitrites are high and your showing a good nitrate level I would say your good to go
Big pwc and stock
I thought it was ammonia 0, trites 0, trates alot in a 24hr period?

I'm only on week 4 meave but in almost the same position as you, 75% pwc dose ammonia to 3-4 range and the next day I can get ammonia to the .5 range in 24, trites off the scale, and trates showing up (don't expect trates up much after the pwc). The 30th will be 4 weeks for me so i'm just hanging in there.... Reading Ryan's post I'm now a little less confident about my understanding of the cycling process. Did you keep a log I'll show you mine if you'd like to compare them.
Please post your progress here because I'd like to follow it.

Wait, test, wait, test, ...wash, rinse, repeat, etc.... Ugh! I am so with you on the going crazy part, (I have dreams of a neighbor giving me a sack full of seed material)

P
Old 08-28-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Look It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle View Post
Big pwc and stock
Nope, sorry Ryan lol NitrItes have to be 0 too.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
Look It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meave View Post
I'm on week 6 and it seems my NitrItes will never go away, here are my reading after doing my 4th 90% water change:

NitrItes: 5.0+ VERY purple
NitrAtes: 20ppm
Ammonia:2.0-3.0ppm
PH:7.8

I have to add ammonia daily to keep it in the 2-4 range, otherwise it goes to 0 in 24 hours. I have my temp set at 86, and plenty of bubbles from a lower water lever and the filters splashing.

Anything else I can do to speed things up, the wait is driving me crazy

Thanks!
Wow, nitrites are still off-chart after doing 4 water changes? Holy smokes! lol You could try keep doing water changes until nitrites are readable on the chart (preferably <2). Then only dose ammonia to 1 for about 3 days (not longer) to let the bacteria catch up. Then start dosing to your normal 2-4 again and see if that helps.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

LG- you have to be the most patient gal on the planet with all the cycling problems you went through. Been following your thread about Cycling II. How is that going?
I have not been waiting near as long as you but it feels like it. I have a 38 gallon FW and fishless. I have a few live plants. I used Dr Tim's One and Only. He states that you can add fish by day 11 but I didn't trust it so I have been following the Fishless Cycling promoted on this forum. I think I got the nitrites so soon because of the liquid BB from Dr Tim but I can 't the nitrites to come down.

I started on 8/13. I have had high nitrite 5 or > since 8/17. My nitrates have consistantly been climbing to 80 now. I have been adding ammonia daily and it drops to 0 in 24 hours. I just can't get the nitrites to come down. I have done a couple PWC of about 40% and they came down to 2 one day only and then when I redosed the ammonia it went back to 5.

Any suggestions? I think I am getting close.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wouldnt use anything.. Your tank will cycle on its own.. Just do frequent water changes and you will be good
Old 08-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I know it not conventional it's just how I cycled my tanks
Old 08-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do you mean adding bb from bottle is not conventional? Sorry if I didn't understand, Ryan. I have appreciated your advice on these forums
Old 08-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clynnking
Do you mean adding bb from bottle is not conventional? Sorry if I didn't understand, Ryan. I have appreciated your advice on these forums
No when trites spike I usually do a pwc and add fish but I also check my levels everyday and pwc as needed but I don't recommend anyone to do it

Bottled bb cycle ect I find very useless IMO nothing works better then filter media from an established tank this saves a big headache

Tags
nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com