Nitrites Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coplestone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there,

I am very curious here. I started fishless cycling about 2 weeks ago and dosed ammonia to around 3-4ppm. 3 days later the nitrites began to appear and went to around 4-5ppm, no drop in ammonia. I've been testing daily and added Dr Tim's Ony and Only 3 days ago. I've tested again just now and the ammonia is still the same but the nitrites have disappeared over night?

Is it normal that the nitrites have gone first? I'm a little confused. I thought it would be the other way around so that you'd have to keep dosing ammonia to feed the nitrosomonas bacteria?

Baring in mind I've not dosed any ammonia since the first day because it hasn't ever budged. I've even looked to see if when I add the nitrite test solution to the test tube it quickly turns purple, but it doesn't. It just seems to stay blue. I've even tried diluting the water by testing 1 part tank water to 4 parts tap water, same result, clear blue reading.

The only thing I can think of is, is that maybe the bacteria in Dr Tim's has converted the nitrites before the ammonia?

Also, my Nitrates have gone up another 15ish PPM, which good for the later part of the cycle, however, the ammonia still being there worries me a little.

I'm using API liquid test kits and have a 6 gallon tank.

Any suggestions?

Hi. Your results do look strange.
My gut feeling, as it's a small tank, would be to drain it, refill with conditioned tap water. Check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels to ensure that you are starting from a zero, zero, zero starting point. Then add ammonia to 4ppm and recheck all three daily to see what happens. 2 weeks is very quick to cycle, even with a starter culture. Did you have some seeded filter material from another filter to kick start the process.
Your other option is to just sit it out and see where it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ill second Scot. Keep in mind your bacteria mainly live on the surfaces of your tank not in the water itself.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

I've never heard of the chemical you are using but, I think of it as BB and will take it as that. A cycle like yours will obviously take shorter or longer depending on the bioload that you will have in the tank, small considering it is 6 gallons. Now here's where it gets interesting. The bb convert ammonia into nitrite, and nitrite into nitrate. Since you have a nitrate reading, it means that you do have bacteria. Whether it's in your filter or not is the issue. I would say empty as much water as possible, refill with conditioned tap (put the conditioner in first) and then dose ammonia to 4 ppm. Do not dose the other chemical. If it is BB, it will convert it before it gets to your filter and then the bacteria in your filter won't have a chance to build up. And btw Fel, bacteria live on every part of the tank, but with freshwater, the filter is crucial. It isn't about how much bacteria is in the tank, but in the filter as that will be where your bioload is handled

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never heard of the chemical you are using but, I think of it as BB and will take it as that. A cycle like yours will obviously take shorter or longer depending on the bioload that you will have in the tank, small considering it is 6 gallons. Now here's where it gets interesting. The bb convert ammonia into nitrite, and nitrite into nitrate. Since you have a nitrate reading, it means that you do have bacteria. Whether it's in your filter or not is the issue. I would say empty as much water as possible, refill with conditioned tap (put the conditioner in first) and then dose ammonia to 4 ppm. Do not dose the other chemical. If it is BB, it will convert it before it gets to your filter and then the bacteria in your filter won't have a chance to build up. And btw Fel, bacteria live on every part of the tank, but with freshwater, the filter is crucial. It isn't about how much bacteria is in the tank, but in the filter as that will be where your bioload is handled

Well this is interesting. I've done some tests today and to my surprise nitrite has risen to 0.25ppm. And ammonia down to around 2ppm. What the hell? How is it possible for nitrite to rise to 5ppm, vanish over night and then start raising again?

Could this be to do with the bottled bacteria converting the nitrites and then it's now converting the ammonia? Bit of a strange concept though.

Most likely that. The bacteria that was bottled was dosed into the water, and it eliminated the nitrite and just got to be able to tackle the ammonia

Most likely that. The bacteria that was bottled was dosed into the water, and it eliminated the nitrite and just got to be able to tackle the ammonia

I think with that said, I'll leave it for a while to see how it progresses. If what I've thought/you've agreed on is true, I should be on course.

Would you agree?

You should be. Keep dosing ammonia until your nitrates are up to around 80, and then do a 90% PWC and the you cycle should be good!

You should be. Keep dosing ammonia until your nitrates are up to around 80, and then do a 90% PWC and the you cycle should be good!

In the time since the initial post my ammonia has dropped to 0ppm today, with nitrites at 5ppm+. In this situation, should I wait until my nitrites are a little bit lower before adding more ammonia? I don't want the bacteria to die!

Thanks,

Keep dosing the ammonia. Don't worry about nitrite levels, just keep dosing until you get your nitrates to about 80pm

Keep dosing the ammonia. Don't worry about nitrite levels, just keep dosing until you get your nitrates to about 80pm

Managed to convert 2ppm of ammonia in less than 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom