No Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomasm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I guess its good not having Ammonia. Im cycling my first tank(a 10gallon). I feed my fish everyday and do a PWC every other day. When i test the water everything is fine no ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and my PH is 7.5. Every time a do i PWC i add Seachem Prime wait 15 minutes then add Topfin Bacteria supplement wait another 15 then add Topfin ammonia remover. Im just wondering if my routine is fine? should i do less PWC? and if im not using to many chemicals?

My tank has only been running for a week now. i have two Red minor tetras and two peppered cory cats.

Someone else will probably chime in as well but Prime is the only water conditioner you need. Your water changes are based on your test results. Are you using strips or the API Master Kit? I used Stability the 1st week I set up my 46g which is supposed to kick start the bacteria but I'm not sure it did, I've been testing my water daily & have Ammonia usually .25-.5 & NitrItes way too high so I've been doing about 50% daily water changes the last few days.

Yeah I have an API kit. I'm going to my LFS this weekend and ill get it tested there. Just to double check.

tomasm87 said:
Should I be using Ammonia Remover? Why notright?

All I've used is the Prime & plenty of water changes. So far no problems in my 2 cycling tanks. 10g going on 3 weeks & a 46g going on 2 weeks with a total of 6 fish & 3 Mystery Snails, no lives lost & hopefully it stays that way.

Ok guess ill stop using it. And if one dose doesn't lower it enough I can alway dose again.

Yes PWC will remove it from your tank. I would wait about a hour or two to test after adding prime. Prime will detox up to 2ppm for up to two day s I believe. Try to keep ammonia levels lower than .25 ppm and everything will be okay.

Could I use the Ammonia Remover for emergency purpose? Like if my ammonia is high but I don't have time to do another PWC.

Keao_m said:
You could but I would rather do 50 percent multiple times. Just to be safe

A water change should be the 1st course of action & of course you add Prime when you change the water. I have only used Prime which detoxifies the ammonia & I have admittedly used it without a water change.

Back
Top Bottom