No Nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexandraDanielle21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all. About a month and a half ago I finished my first cycle and added fish.
Nitrites-0
Ammonia-0
Nitrates-20ppm

I've had my pair of mollies, pair of platys and guppy for all this time, with no problems. A few days ago I added one dwarf frog, and after checking my water parameters today I found that my nitrates are no longer there?
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-0ppm?

I use a liquid test for ammonia and strips for NO2 and NO3. I know that strips aren't as accurate, but even if they were incorrect before there is no reason for them to be changing, right? Any ideas on why this happened would be appreciated.

Side note: My water also clouded up a few days ago. Could this be connected? I used API Aqu-Clear but it didn't work.
Thanks

Do you have a lot of real plants?

The nitrate test is notorious for showing 0 if you don't shake the ever living piss out of the #2 bottle. I like to bang mine on a hard surface several times and then shake it for the 30seconds.

If it still shows 0 after a very vigorous shaking report back

Also make sure the bottle hasn't gone past the expiration date

Do you have a lot of real plants?

The nitrate test is notorious for showing 0 if you don't shake the ever living piss out of the #2 bottle. I like to bang mine on a hard surface several times and then shake it for the 30seconds.

If it still shows 0 after a very vigorous shaking report back

:) I don't have any real plants yet, but I have some fake ones and decorations. I am going to add some low-light ones soon, I just wanted to fix this first :)

Back
Top Bottom