Non-nocturnal pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
There are so many great looking plecos, but what is a point of buying one if you don't ever see it? I know that they are good glass cleaners (not even all of them), but that's not enough for me. I really like them for their look and would like to get one if I can find whether there are plecos that don't hide that much comparing to others.
Does anyone have plecos that stay at day time, at least a little bit?

I guess I have been lucky with my plec. I have a bristlenose. He is out most of the time, especially if I have a veggie he likes out at the front of the tank.

My sailfin gibbiceps is out and about a lot of the time during the day. I also keep a clown, a gold nugget, and a bristlenose pleco and I hardly ever see them. :roll:

I think all plecos are considered nocturnal aren't they? Anyway I recently traded in an adonis lyretail pleco due to the fact that it will eventually be too big and perhaps too mean for my tank. But that fish was very active and not much of a hider. One thing you can consider is setting your tank up so your pleco feels like it is hiding, yet you are still able to see it.

I think all plecos are considered nocturnal aren't they?
No ... Only certain species are.

How do you determine the sex of a pleco anyways?

It depends on the species. Certain ones are easy, for example: female Queen Arabesque Plecos have a white belly where males have some design on the bottom

Quote:

I think all plecos are considered nocturnal aren't they?

No ... Only certain species are.
Could you be more specific, please. Can you name some most common nocturnal and non-nocturnal plecos?

Back
Top Bottom