nonexistant cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitetiger_CJ

Aquarium Advice Freak
I set up my 55g tank about two weeks ago, and it has had a dozen small fish in it for about 8 days. It is filtered by a rena xp3, and has a fully loaded canister. with mechanical biological and chemical filtration. I have been testing the water everyother day. on the first day, I had 2.0 on ammonia, and zero on bith nitrate ans nitrite. now after the two weeks, all three are at zero. does anyone know what is happening. the fish are all still alive. I ahve a sand substrate, and all my other readings, as to concerns of ph alkilinity, ect. are all perfect. am I good to add the other fish, or is there accually going to be a cycle? This has never happened to me before. Thanks in advance.

Maybe you're about to see nitrites, just at the time you tested they weren't detectable yet. I don't know, but I wouldn't add the other fish until after I got a nitrate reading and did a water change.

Have your water checked by the lfs. Your test kit may be faulty or outdated. Are you using strips or vials?

If you're taking your water to the LFS to be tested, I would write down the actual numbers of the results. IME, "Your water is fine" means different things to different people.

I work at a petstore, so I have had access to both strips and vials. I can think of no explination. I made sure that I over feed to start the bacteria. the only thing different with this is that I am filtering with a canister vs. an under gravel like I do in my smaller tanks.

Were your results from the test strips or the liquid tests? I find the liquid tests to be more reliable.

You should still check the expiration dates on the test kits. What kind of fish are in the tank? How many?

both of the tests read 0. I have 9 roseys, and one either female guppy or mosquito fish. that I got with the roseys. the test kits are still good. the store just got a new shipment in sor stre/customer use.

I have used an ordinary conditioner from wardly that just takes out chlorines, fluoride, and adds somthin or other that reduces stress in the fish.

I'm thinking about your bio-load, the frequency of your PWC's and possibly, your filter maintenance.

Have you disturbed the filter in any way during this time?
What fish do you have now?
How often do you do PWC's and have you aggressively vac'd the gravel?

Those (other than bad test kits) are the only reasons I can think of for a stalled cycle.

HTH

The tank has only been set up for about two and a half weeks now. I haven't touched the filter, and I havent done any water changes thus far. I still have the same ten fish, and all look healthy. I double checked ny levels, and tested everything with the strips and vials at work. everything checked out ok, but the three levels were still zero. I added some bacteria/junk from one of my established tanks, and bought a bacteria starter last night. I just checked the levels, and they are still zero 8O . I am really confused. Is there anything else that I can do to promote a cycle, or do I just need to sit back and let "nature" take its course?

I'm somewhat at the same level you are. I set up my tank on the 25th of last month...put some established media from my 30g into the 75g and put in a couple of shrimp to feed the established media. I checked the levels twice...1st time, .25 NH3. At the end of the week, checked again (by this time the shrimp was really looking foul and really fouled up the water) the level had dropped to almost 0. I put in my 10 new fish over the weekend and tested water yesterday. NH3 back up to 1.0.

Nitrite usually doesn't show up for at least three weeks on average and by the fourth/fifth week, the nitrate jumps in. Nature will take it's course. Patience is now your virtue.

HTH. :D

Back
Top Bottom