Noob here, pre-planning a 55 gal. guppy tank... Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
375 gallons worth of filter on a 10 gallon tank...

I need to figure out how to upload a pic so you guys can see how ridiculous this looks :ROFLMAO:
So we finally got over our disappointment that the 55 gallon tank we got from my parents wasn't going to work, and got around to cleaning up the ten gallon that we got from them as well...
Set it up yesterday with an inch of black diamond, the tiny little filter and air pump that came with it, but didn't have a heater. Then last night decided to retrieve our aquaclear 110 from his friends tank its been running in for 10 days, plus a 3 foot leg of pantyhose stuffed with some of his substrate to help seed it.
Today we went out to go pick up a heater from petco, ended up getting the aqueon 100w, got a huge air pump for cheap from wal-mart, and stopped by a lfs to pick up a sponge filter...
We got two, rated for up to 125 gallons each supposedly, pre seeded from the tanks (he just switched the sponges we bought for dirty ones that had been in his tank for ages.)
Unfortunately I was distracted by the absolutely ENORMOUS female guppies they had and didn't notice till we were almost home that one of the sponges was infested with tiny snails :facepalm: Eh I already know how to get rid of them if they become a nuisance so oh well.
So we got home, set up the heater where we wanted it, un-bagged our soggy filters and gave them a few squishes in the tank :eek: couldn't see two inches in the water lol. But once the two sponge filters were set up and put in place and all the filters were back on, tank cleared in half an hour :D
We dosed ammonia last night to 3ppm, when we just had the aqueon 110 and substrate in the pantyhose to seed it, and it was already down to 2ppm 12 hrs later when we checked it this afternoon, so we dosed it back up to 3ppm. Our nitrIte started at .25 (in our tap) and looked lighter when we checked it this afternoon, so I am thinking we were already seeded a bit and off to a good start, but we sure as heck are now with the sponge filters lol.
My question is, as long as we leave one of the sponge filters in the 10 gallon, shouldn't it be instantly cycled? I guess I'll get my answer tomorrow night when we check the water, but dang I'm impatient!
And we are going to look at a 55 gallon tomorrow that comes with a bunch of accessories, so I might have another tank to set up.:dance:
Lol that should help reduce the ridiculous amount of filtration going on in the 10 gallon at least :) if we get it we're planning on putting the aqueon 110 and one of the sponge filters in it to cycle.

So what do you guys think of all this?

Yeah it was pretty funny, I was in the other room and all I hear is this nervous giggle from our bedroom. I go in and our new 10g tank is full of dark brown water... It was pretty awesome how fast it cleared up with all the filters we have going though! We do have a layer of gunk on top of the substrate now, but figure we can clean it up a little at a time with each water change once the tank is cycled.

Update:
after dosing to 3 ppm ammonia yesterday afternon, we checked the levels of everything before bed last night, about 12 hrs later... got .25 ammonia, 0 nitrIte, and 40 nitrAte :)
So we did a partial water change (still not sure if my snale invasion is a pest or desirable species, got to call my lfs today and see whats in the tank we got the sponge filter out of:))
And dosed ammonia to 4ppm... eight hours later woke up and couldn't resist checking...
drumroll please.....
ZEROS!!!
lol yay!
0 ammonia, 0 nitrIte, and either 40 or 80 nitAtes :D
So I might be going to pick up some of my guppies today(y)

Ok. So KlcoKN and I picked up 12 Guppies 3m/9f, 5 Ghost Shrimp, and 2 Burmese Loaches!!! We have them in our 10g right now, and about to set up our 55g and get it cycling.

Few questions. Should we feed them? Lights on or off for right now? Should we dose with salt, or raise temp higher (82 right now)? We got the fish from 3 diff stores, and drip acclimated them for about an hour or so. They all look fine, but want to know if we need to take any preventative measures.

Oh and we also got some Duckweed and Java Moss!

Back
Top Bottom