Not enough seed material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taelen

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

Before I start my first attempt at a 44g planted tank, I have set up a 10g that is going to be the future home of a betta and maybe a couple of other friends.

I am going fishless of course but it seems that the cycle hasn't started yet and it's been 6 or so days. I followed the fishless cycle instructions and did a PWC to reduce ammonia (it was a little higher than the directions indicated). The only seed material I really had was pantyhose full of substrate from my 38g. I don't know if this is enough...how long should it take before I start to see some nitrite?

I could probably add a fake plant from my existing tank as well to try and speed things along. Has anyone had experience with the "bacteria in a bottle" products like Bio-Spira? Should I maybe add a bit of that to get things going?

I wanted to test the process on this 10g before I tackled the 44g.

Thanks.

Bio-Spira should work fine. Just make sure it is refrigerated and check any dates on the packaging. It should add a bacteria colony to take care of your bioload instantly.

Bio Spira is excellent. Be sure to add fish when you add the Bio Spira otherwise it's useless.

What do you have as your ammonia source? No reason to do a pwc unless the Ammonia reading was off the charts.

Ammonia source was pure ammonia (no detergents or fragrances). I didn't actually do the math but from what I could tell from the API kit, it was probably between 5-7ppm.

I just got home from work and tested the parameters, finally looks like things have begun:

Ammonia: 4ppm
pH: 7
Nitrite: 0.20-0.25ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

I think I'll hold off on using store bought bacteria, I'd like to do it with adding anything extra if possible. As I read, once I can turn 1-2ppm of ammonia into nitrate, I'll be ready to add fish?

If you are going the planted route and have plenty of plants, there is no reason to fishless cycle.

It's called a silent cycle. The plants consume most of the NH3 produced while the bacteria reproduce. The key is to add a couple of fish then wait a week or two and add a couple more.

HTH

This smaller tank it not going to be planted but I think I'll try the silent cycle for my 44g.

No reason to add bacterial supplements. I'd just save the money. Bio Spira doesn't always work, and it's expensive. Now that your cycle is going, it shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks until you're done.

Easiest way to speed it up right now is to take your filter insert from your 38 gallon and squeeze it into a bucket of used tank water (from the 38 gallon tank). Then just dump the water into your 10 gallon. That will add a HUGE number of bacteria and your cycle should go much MUCH faster.

Back
Top Bottom