Not happy with my tank, should i return it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ub3rn00ber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, im new here. Just got a aquarium after wining a goldfish at the fair :-/ little $5 goldfish cost me about $600...

So i got Fluval 25G ACCENT AQUARIUM CABINET. The one that has a filter inside the tank and a drain built into the cabinet so you can do quick water changes.

I like the idea, but the material the stand is made from is just horrible. I had about an ounce maybe 2 of water leak on to the bottom shelf and didnt notice. When i saw it, it had soaked into the wood, started peeling the finish of, and bowed it a little.

I just bought this tank recently. i have about 10 days to return it. I bough a fluval 406 canister filter (over kill i know, but when i have more space i want a 55g). If i keep the tank and install the 406 i will have to modify the stand by cutting out an internal support shelf and replacing it with a 2x4.

So i am thinking about returning it and getting the marineland 27g cube tank with stand. Now my only issue is the one i have is already cycled, the 406 isnt cycled or even hooked up yet. I have a Goldfish, 2 loche, and a few tetras. I know the goldfish needs cooler water, but i live in San Diego and my house dosnt have AC, the water is in the lower range for the tropical fish without a heater. And i really dont want to invest in a water chiller.

Is there any way to get the 27g tank up and running in under 9 days so i dont hurt my fish? I can reuse everything including the water from my 25g but i know the bio media still wont have the bacteria, but will the water, rocks, and decor carry enough to sustain my fist for a few weeks while the new tank is cycling. I know i can use ammonia remover chips, but that will just make the cycle take longer. I would like to do the best thing for the fish, but also be happy with the quality of what i have.

Ive already talked to petco and told them im using the tank, but dont like it, they said they would be happy to return or exchange it.

What should i do?

My suggestion is as follows:
Chuck the aquarium. return it, and get an aquarium. do not get a stand - all they use is particle board, which is the worst construction ever. Aqueon is a good brand. get all the stuff you need for it, and plunk your fish in it. I know it isn't cycled yet, but you can fix that - just do daily water changes until your tank cycles, which should keep the ammonia from killing your fish.

Also, when you say 'a few tetras', you mean more than 5, right? cause most tetras require groups of at-least that many to keep from dying of loneliness (literally), and ten fish to be truly happy.

Hope that helped.

Back
Top Bottom