Not so new, and not so huge tank that I may set up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2cvbloke

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's 18" x 9.75" x 10" (Width, depth, Height), so it's not that big, I've been replacing the light with a standard BC socket so I can put in a Fluorescent Energy Saving bulb (like THIS one) instead of the old 15watt Incandescent oven light type bulb that had been fitted by a "professional" aquarium distributor...

Anyway, the equipment with it is an Air pump, 2x airstones (one large, one small), Python vacuum thing, the lid (obviously), a heater (up to 30 degrees celcius, I don't do farenheit!!) and a tray-like something that sits on the bottom with a tube sticking up, which I have no idea what it does (I'll get a picture shortly)...

So, any ideas as to what the gallonage is and what you think I should put in there once it's cycled? Also, should I get a filter for this tank rather than just the air pump?

EDIT:
Picture of the thingy added...

Sounds like 7.5 gallons or so. Your tray is actually an under gravel filter. Most would recommend getting rid of it and getting an hob (hang on back) filter.

If you list your preferences on stocking maybe we can help you along on what would or wouldn't work and the numbers. You will be limited because as you said, the tank isn't very large.

The plastic tray is some sort of under gravel filter. I wouldn't use it though. They require periodic cleaning that is a major pain to accomplish since the filter sits underneath your gravel. I would just toss it and get a small HOB filter. This would also make your air pump unnecessary since the HOB filter would splash enough to provide oxygen. Then again you could still keep the air pump if you like the look of the little bubbles. Your heater is plenty good. Good light choice.

You have about 7.5 gallons there, so I would recommend maybe a Betta and a couple bottom feeders. Not sure what you have available in the UK.

So I was right (well, discussing it with my mum at least) that I may as well chuck that tray and get a proper filter... :mrgreen:

Well, as it may become my tank I want to get some Neons cos their colours are amazing when looking at them in the shop, but as always I'm open to other types, but, I'm definitely having a weather loach!!! :D

EDIT:
Is THIS filter OK in your opinion?

You will definitely want to cycle your tank before you add fish.

That filter looks fine to me. I have an internal on my 5.5 and it works great.

You may want to rethink the neons. They are known to be pretty sensitive, especially in a tank that is newly cycled.

verucaproduce said:
You will definitely want to cycle your tank before you add fish.

That filter looks fine to me. I have an internal on my 5.5 and it works great.

You may want to rethink the neons. They are known to be pretty sensitive, especially in a tank that is newly cycled.

Well, cycling's the first thing I am going to do, borrowing the filter sponge from my mum's tank for the biological stuff, then giving it a month to get going, just need to get one of them filters now and a testing kit...

So neons are not a good idea initially then? Ah well, must have a weather loach though, they're brilliant fish, very entertaining... :D

If you seed that tank with your mother's filter sponge, I doubt that it will take a whole month to cycle.

Neons are known to be very sensitive (I have never kept them) and I have read where people put them into cycled tanks after acclimating and they drop like flies. You might be better off to go with something a little sturdier...at least while the tank is newly set up. Anything else that you are interested in? :D

verucaproduce said:
If you seed that tank with your mother's filter sponge, I doubt that it will take a whole month to cycle.

Neons are known to be very sensitive (I have never kept them) and I have read where people put them into cycled tanks after acclimating and they drop like flies. You might be better off to go with something a little sturdier...at least while the tank is newly set up. Anything else that you are interested in? :D

Even better, but I'll guesstimate at a month for now though... :mrgreen:

I definitely want a weather loach or two, as I'm sure everyone knows by now, but I haven't really looked at any other fish that won't look too big for this tank, maybe a Pleco, the pet shop I went to had plenty of little ones, but the loach they had in the same tank was about 5 or 6 inches long!!! :lol:

But I'll pop into that shop again and I'll take my digital camera and get a few snaps of the fish they have... :D

I can't think of a pleco that will stay small enough for your tank. I don't know anything about weather loaches. Maybe some otos? Although they do better in established tanks, or at least old enough to have diatoms.

Definitely get some pics. That could be fun!

verucaproduce said:
I can't think of a pleco that will stay small enough for your tank. I don't know anything about weather loaches. Maybe some otos? Although they do better in established tanks, or at least old enough to have diatoms.

Definitely get some pics. That could be fun!

My mum's pleco has been in her tank since march and it's barely grown a few millimeters, so I'm guessing that some may stay a certain size according to the tank's size... :?

That pet shop has a good selection of fish to look at, I think some are tropical and maybe some saltwater, but I'll get some pics, and I can give the pics to my boss's at work for them to pic fish for their huge tank once it's set up and cycled... :D

A full grown pleco can measure anywhere from 15 to 24 inches in length and can live up to 20 years. It's a misconception that they will not outgrow a tank, because they will. :)

They generally create more waste than they're worth.

Nokinja said:
A full grown pleco can measure anywhere from 15 to 24 inches in length and can live up to 20 years. It's a misconception that they will not outgrow a tank, because they will. :)

They generally create more waste than they're worth.

Can't wait to see my mum's get that big then... :mrgreen:

Just looking at my mum's weather loach at the moment and it's secured itself between the thermometer and the tank glass and it looking rather comfy there, I guess it does that cos they like burying themselves in sand and fine gravel/substrate, he's a funny little critter... :D

But anyway, I've got plenty of time to decide on what I want to get, there's no rush, I have to clear a space for the tank at home, but that won't be too difficult as my poor hamster was killed by fleas, he wasn't even a year old, so I can remove his old cage and pop a tank there instead, and I don't want to rush into getting it all set up as rushing always ends up with mistakes, plus I need to give the tank a leak test as it's not been used in a while, at least I can use my cellar though as that's always getting flooded so any spilling water wouldn't look out of place... :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see my mum's get that big then...

That is just the thing, it probably won't. But since it growth has been stunted it compromises its health.

I am not saying that all plecos get huge. Some stay smaller. But they are usually hard to find and can be expensive. In a 7 gallon tank you want to limit your waste and they sure like to produce waste.

as my poor hamster was killed by fleas

OUCH!

Well, got my mini-filter today, and it is very compact... :D

I was just thinking, if I sat it in my mum's tank for a week or two filtering and stuff, would that make cycling a lot easier for me?

Anyway, here's a pic of my new filter (and my laptop on my lap!!! :mrgreen: ),and yes, that's what a British plug looks like... :mrgreen:

Yes running the filter on your mom's tank will help seed the filter and make your cycle much quicker. Neet looking little thing.

verucaproduce said:
Ah, you crazy British folks. :wink:

Our earth pin is ath the top of the plug.... :p

And we have to use 3 pin plugs for everything as the earth pin socket has a safty feature in it to prevent kids poking their fingers into the ... :mrgreen:

Anyways, just about to pop the filter into my mum's tank to get it seeded so it's ready for my tank, just one question, how long should I leave it in my mum's tank for?

Back
Top Bottom