novice in need of help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaMason

Aquarium Advice Regular
So here's my dilema. I have a 125 gallon tank that I just set up the day after christmas. I have had idea after idea for what to put in the tank:banghead:. After coming to no difinitive plan of action I find myself needing some serious advice on what to do with my tank seeing as how I have very little expirience with fish tanks. Anything anyone could fill in for me would be wicked awesome:thanks:

I was kinda of thinking of doing a peoples choice tank with the 125. a collaberation of all the good ideas i get on here.

Hi and welcome. Is this your first tank? Are you cycling it with ammonia? First thing you'll want to do is read up on cycling (unfortunately running the tank doesn't cycle it, regardless of what the fish/pet stores tell you). There's a link in my signature called: guide to starting a freshwater aquarium. It covers fish-in and fishless cycling; read the info and choose how you wish to cycle your tank. In the meantime we can come up with some fish to add when it's time. :)

Here's what I did. I started with different kinds of tetras to see how I did. Then I threw in some loaches. Then graduated to rope fish. Then I got angelfish. A lot of the tetras got given away and two angelfish went to the neighbor so I could get some discus. That's what I have now. This is all after it was cycled of course.

Such quick replies haha well the tank is cycled i took all the readings it has no nitrates or nitrates 7.0 Ph and the hardness is fine. and no this is not my first tank. i actually have some fish in the 125 that i had in my 20 gallon tank but they will get donated to the LFS once i get a solid direction to go in. and Thank You Paytertot but i think my jewel cichlids would eat them haha:popcorn:

no nitrates or nitrates

lol

Well no nitrites is good, no nitrates is bad. You want a small amount for a healthy ecosystem. I have to go do some things, but I'll check back in on this thread later, hopefully adding more to the convo!":D

haha thanks for dropping in to point out my flaws :p. what is the difference in the two and if i have none how do i get some?

AquaMason said:
haha thanks for dropping in to point out my flaws :p. what is the difference in the two and if i have none how do i get some?

Bb turns ammo to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates

"BB"= beneficial bacteria

In a cycled tank, you'll have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrate. The fact that you don't have nitrate leads me to believe the tank isn't fully cycled (or you have a lot of live plants). So you had a 20 gal tank that had fish and now the fish are in the 125? Did you put the filter from the 20 gal tank on the 125 or are you using a new filter? If you're using a new filter and none of the old then the tank isn't cycled yet. Have you checked ammonia?

on the filter question i have a new filter and an old filter but both will be gone when i can save myself 90 $ haha

yes the fish from the 20 are in the 125 plus 4 Cories that my pa in law breed

and i have no way to check the amonia. the strips i have dont have an amonia section, sad but true

forgot to put in that last post that im looking for my fiances camera and ill show you guys what im working with

AquaMason said:
haha its alright im just excited to have some experienced minds helping me out. off topic question but do i have a picture by my posts. i put a profile pic but it doesnt show on my screen

I don't see it, no.

AquaMason said:
I fixed it haha. Fish are awfully difficult to take a picture of, any advice on how to keep them still :facepalm:

Haha not really. I got lucky with my pics, plus angels and discus aren't very fast movers most of the time.

Keep in mind that im not good at taking pictures but here is my tank. the first picture is the whole tank(kinda blurry, my apologizes) the second is my bichir, the third is my pair of jewel cichlids and a few cories. nothing too impressive jewels are about 1.5" bichir is about 5"

Attachments

• DSCN1518[1].jpg
    DSCN1518[1].jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN1519[1].jpg
    DSCN1519[1].jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN1517[1].jpg
    DSCN1517[1].jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 60
AquaMason said:
Keep in mind that im not good at taking pictures but here is my tank. the first picture is the whole tank(kinda blurry, my apologizes) the second is my bichir, the third is my pair of jewel cichlids and a few cories. nothing too impressive jewels are about 1.5" bichir is about 5"

Aw, I love them :p

AquaMason said:
there is also a 5" JD you cant see anywhere cause his favorite past time is hiding

Awesome :p looking forward to seeing more pics of this tank. Oh btw, what kind of filtration do you have in there?

Back
Top Bottom