NOVICE NEEDS YODA (Let's start with Filters)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

curtanyc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to it all and think I got took. I spent close to $300.00 at my local pet shop and have a 10 gallon tank with a Lee's economy filter and 5 goldfish- 1 ryunkin, 1 black moor and 3 orandas. What research I've done makes me think It's already overcrowded in there. They talked me into a common pleco too, but I took him back when I found out how big he would get. I thought I'd start by upgrading the filter and stopped by Petco today to look at some clip on power filters. Advice? How do I go about switching from one type of filter to another? Should I even try? Please don't tell me to cut my losses, I'm already in love with my babies and am already noticing their different personalities.

I'm new at this too but I'm pretty sure the others will tell you that 5 goldfish in a 10 gallon is overstocked. I guess goldfish have a really large bio-load and I'm pretty sure the fish experts here will tell you to return some. 300$ sounds like a lot for a 10 gallon tank. But you live and learn right? Good luck with your new babies! :)

Hang on...what all did you get for 300$$??? I can go to walmart right now and buy a 10gal tank for 12$. You can buy a topfin 55gal starter kit at petsmart for 180$ or even buy a 75g tank with a decent filter for that much if you shop smart? Im not criticizing but curous because that is a ripoff unless the fish were really expensive (i dont know goldfish i dont particularly care for them). And yes you are overcrowded-goldfish get big and are messy and will take a huge hit on your bioload, especially since ive got the feeling you didnt cycle. Start doing pwc's every day to keep it down.

I live in New York City, so there are no WalMarts, I got the tank, hood and light, heater, thermometer, gravel, plants (plastic), filter, pump, tubing, stress coat +, stress zyme + (both API brand), net, 5-in-1 test strips and amonia test strips, flake food and pellet sinking food and the 5 fish (they are small, about an inch each). I've been testing the water daily because I'm worried about keeping them alive. I'm aware that I made some monumenal mistakes here and was loking for some helpful advice, not criticisms. I would truly appreciate any advice anyone can give.

Well you can pull this off but it will take a lot of effort. Lots and lots of water changes! Otherwise the waste the fish produce will build up ammonia fast and kill them. See if you can find someone with a fishtank who will give you a sponge of their filter media or some substrate to speed up the cycle too. Eventually you will need a bigger tank but you will last for now.

From what I understand, goldfish do not need a heater and heating the water will only speed up their metabolism causing them to produce more waste, thus polluting the water more. I'm fairly new to fishkeeping so that's about all I can contribute. Good luck!

You can house the golds for a while but you are overstocked and in my opinion got took on the price.
I paid $300 for my brand new 75 gallon with everything, including a nice cabinet style stand and even the gravel.
My daughter paid $75 for her 10 gallon new including fish and water conditioner.

thanks all, so far the amonia tests have been good, doing another one now. I've removed the heater and have been keeping a very close eye on eveything. Also planning on adding a second filter for the time being.

I would suggest doing the Partial Water Changes (PWS's) every day like someone above pointed out... at least 1-2 gallons... it will help you keep the ammonia, Nirtates , and Nitrites down which will help keep them alive while it cycles. Just dont forget to treat the water for chlorine before you put it in!!!

So far so good. I've been checking amonia levels daily and knock wood, everything's still okay. I'm doing a partial water change in the morning just to be safe. The water is actually quite clear now and all 5 of my babies are active and doing well. A friend of mine is getting rid of his 30 gallon tank and offered it to me, I'll pick it up on Monday and I expect that to help with the overcrowding. Thank you all for the help and let me know if you have any tips.

The 30 will give you a lot more time with the fish but 5 will be to many when they get large.

The 30 will help reduce stress levels on fish and will increase your chances

Back
Top Bottom