Nutrafin Cycle or Tetra SafeStart Plus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarcosDiaz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it possible to use both of these together? I have read Nutrafin has a new "formula" so if you have used this recently is it good? I used Tetra Safestart and it had been working. My readings were normal with the strips. I got the API master kit today and my readings were good too. I just want to know if I can use both together without a problem or just stick to what I have been using (tetra safestart)?

Tetra SafeStart is a dechlorinater. It will not cycle your tank. Nutrifin Cycle claims to immediately establish your bacteria colony. It is possible it could work, but there are mixed feelings as to whether or not bottled bacteria will do anything.

Are they safe to use together? Yes.

Do you have fish in this tank yet?

First of all, tetra SafeStart is a bacteria in a bottle tank cycler, as is nutrafin cycle. If they work, your tank will be cycled, the problem is they often do not. So really, it's a gamble. It will probably help, but probably won't immediately cycle your tank, and often gives wacky results (tank un-cycles in the middle of cycling).

I stand corrected! I must have mis-read Safe start as Aqua safe which is a conditioner rather than a bottled bacteria. My apologies for the confusion.

Either way bottled bacteria is hit or miss. The only way to know if it is working is to have a test kit so you can monitor your parameters.

I stand corrected! I must have mis-read Safe start as Aqua safe which is a conditioner rather than a bottled bacteria. My apologies for the confusion.

Either way bottled bacteria is hit or miss. The only way to know if it is working is to have a test kit so you can monitor your parameters.

Yeah, it does sound a bit like a dechlorinator because of the "safe" part, like it makes the water safe. Sorry if I was harsh! :hide:

Not at all Fish. Sadly before I answered I googled to make sure I was thinking of the right product...apparently I googled the wrong one!

Not at all Fish. Sadly before I answered I googled to make sure I was thinking of the right product...apparently I googled the wrong one!

Oh haha yeah sometimes when I'm not sure about advice I look it up first even if I think I know because if you say something wrong then everyone's like :mad: and I'm like :hide:. Sometimes it's annoying because you can just google it and get the answer really quick. This one is different though, but some people ask like really obvious straightforward things.

In my experience, the bacteria in a bottle products have NEVER established a tank for me by themselves. I have no doubt that with regular use over the first few weeks of an aquarium's life, they speed up the establishment of beneficial bacteria, they do not "instantly cycle a tank".

I would not mix two different brands. Not going to do any harm, but I like to err on the side of caution whenever possible.

Back
Top Bottom