Ok...Apparantly i'm still cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gobabushka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, I got the darned bug, I got a 10 Gallon. I followed the directions on the bottle of stability to a T, silly me I listened to the guy at the pet store...turned out to be an idiot. So...I added 3 Serpae Tetra. The tests looked like they had just about finished cycling, I had a small ammount of ammonia, no nitrites, and I had nitrates. So I added 3 neons. And some plants. So I go get the darned thing tested ammonia was at 1 ppm. Ok, So I did about a 25% Water Change and it went down. Then back up. I had to replace the Serpaes because they wouldn't leave my poor neons alone :(, and i replaced them with three Zebra Danios. So...I now, I have no nitrites or nitrates, and ammonia is about 2 ppm. A new FISH store, that has been there as far back as I can remember suggests no water changes, and it looks like I might have been over feeding a bit. I know the consensus is water changes, but they say it will prolong the cycle....HELP!!! and thanks y'all!

Have you read up on Fish in Cycling? It s in a stickie in the Freshwater Getting Started or you can Google it. You re gonna have to do water changes to keep your fish healthy & it will get cycled but it takes a lot of patience. More time versus healthy fish is a good trade off IMO. Best of luck & ask questions here, there s many people that will help. I just cycled a 55g & Hbbambislayer was soooo helpful, would ve been really stressful without his support .

I lost most of my fish doing a fish in cycle and thinking I was cycled and not understanding the full process. You have to do water changes to keep your fish healthy but what is your tap PH vs your tank. Mine is a big difference and I feel like shock killed a couple of my fish. If you can take the fish back. I wish I had not done a fish in. If you cant, patience mine took 7 weeks (if indeed it has finished).

Back
Top Bottom