Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2008, 09:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

oh lets see lights on at 7 off at 12 on at 4 off at 8 hmm I guess the first is more than 4 hours so i guess it is 5 an 4 oops I am waiting for my timer to arrive and with it will come a red light and a blue light so that ill be able to see them at differing hours in which case i will most likely set it so the red or blue comes on at 7 til say 9 when the floresent can come on then kick that off in the evening and have the blue/red come on. This room is just to dark in morning and at night to see them any other way.

and plants I have had
2 banana (has sent out roots and is ok if away from current)
dwarf baby tears (not doing well)
micro sword 2 clumps (one smaller doing well the other larger is unhappy)
2red rubin (it is putting out leafs but dies back as fast as new sprouts)
2rotala Magenta (dead combo of fact fish found it tasty and die back which may also be fish chewing stems)
4dwarf rush (was rooting but now is cover brown and dieing back)
yesterday i got some back ordered plants
2 water sprite
2 wisteria
1 four leaf clover plant

I do have one other plant that for whatever reason is not listed on my PO but it has several small ferny like leafs coming off a branched stem and it isnt doing well at all I think I am going to lose it the guppy and tetras left it alone but i think the mollies found it tasty some of the stems are bare

Nyrmel Neewbie extrodinary luvr of things furry, finny, or the color purple20 gallon planted 1 blueygray guppy, 1 ghost shrimp, 1 mystery snail(bulldozer), 3 mollies tux,edo and spot(dalmation) unknown fry Warning I can't spell to save my life, & I tend to ramble... alot. Also an avid outdoor ponder with 5 koi and a dozen goldfish and wonderful assortment of plants
nyrmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

2 Banana Plant - Medium Light
Dwarf Baby Tears (Hemianthus Callitrichoides) - Medium Light but needs good carbon (Flourish Excel or CO2) and nutrient dosing
Microsword - Medium High Light
Red Rubin - Medium High Light (it is putting out leafs but dies back as fast as new sprouts)
Rotala Magenta (Rotala Macrandra) - Very High Light
Dwarf Rush - White Striping on this plant is a good indicator that it's probably not a true aquatic, therefore unlikely to do well long term completely submerged
Water Sprite - Medium Low Light (great plant for your lighting)
Wisteria - Medium Light
Four Leaf Clover - Medium Light

With your current lighting your aquarium probably is about medium light BUT with the four hours off, it may be further reducing your effective light levels. So anything that requires more than medium light probably won't make it, and the medium light plants may struggle.

To get plants to grow well in your current setup, I'd suggest selecting less demanding plants. Low to Medium Low Light plants will be a better match. Checkout PlantGeek.net for ideas. Once you are able to get the timer going and have one continuous photo period, you'll probably have better luck with the Medium Light plants.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks
Ill keep the light on during the day, what else can i do about the plants not getting light? am I useing the wrong kind of bulb or is it a matter of not enough hours???
I dont intend to replace the plants that the fish enjoyed eating so much as I think that is asking for trouble (more randome plant peices floating in tank)
Nyrmel Neewbie extrodinary luvr of things furry, finny, or the color purple20 gallon planted 1 blueygray guppy, 1 ghost shrimp, 1 mystery snail(bulldozer), 3 mollies tux,edo and spot(dalmation) unknown fry Warning I can't spell to save my life, & I tend to ramble... alot. Also an avid outdoor ponder with 5 koi and a dozen goldfish and wonderful assortment of plants
Old 06-08-2008, 02:17 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

As long as you have a bulb that's between 5000K-10,000K it should be perfectly fine. Do keep in mind that over time the spectrum will shift, so it is necessary to replace the bulb before it burns out. This is usually somewhere between 9-12 months. Either way I think a 4 hour break in your lighting is likely to decrease the effectiveness of the light for your plants. In general you want to have your lights on for 8-12 hours each day on a set schedule. A longer light period if you're growing plants out or a shorter light period if you're just maintaining the scape or dealing with algae issue.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok ill start leaving it on during the day to see what happens. I had someoe tell me that the 10-12 hours a day was asking for trouble (what i did in the begining) but when i started ctting the lights was a bit before i was having dieback not related to fish nibbling so it is a fair point. Any idea how long i can expect the diatoms to last? this was not a brand spankin new tank persay it housed hermit crabs for about 3 years until a vacation and power issues did them in. (about 2 years ago)
Thanks for all the help

ps timer and night veiw lights should arrive any day
Old 06-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Diatoms generally last just the first 1-2 months that an aquarium is setup. They go away once all the silicates are consumed. If you happen to be adding more silicates with water changes or food for instance, then it could take significantly longer.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok 2 months i can deal with already been running a month so they should be gone by end of summerish? that woorks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com