Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2005, 02:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok, I think is my final stock list, please read.

ok, The tank stand is just about finished staining and I should have water in the tank by Sunday if all goes well. I plan on starting the tank with some plants and let it run for a few weeks before I add my first fish. Here is what I want to keep.

6 - 8 Tiger Barbs - I love how the look and act. I know about there aggressive behavior but they do so well in Planted tanks. Is it best to add these last to the tank? I read here I think that if they are first into the tank they tend to get very territorial?

4 Tetras - I think either Serpae, Blood Fin or some other. I haven't fully decided which Tetras and am open to suggestions here. I think I will add Tetras to the tank as it's first inhabitants. I want something colorful and capable of mixing with the Tiger's

2 Gouramis - I like the Gold and Blue Gouramis and I think one of each would be nice centrepiece fish. I believe it would be best to get 2 females to avoid aggression. I would add these after the Tetras but before the Tigers.

4 or more Cory Cats - A few groundskeepers to maintain my tank. I want something active and attractive. I'm not sure when to add these, maybe before the Gouramis?

Anyway, that is the plan if everything goes according to plan.

Please let me know if you have any better ideas or suggestions.

btw - 29Gal, HOB Filter, 100W Heater (will upgrade to 150), Air pump and Air stone, 20W florescent light (I know, not good for planted, cannot afford the upgrade yet), Black Gravel substrate, 2 Mopani Logs, some Slate Rock.

I really appreciate all the knowledge around here, you guys make beginning a new tank very easy. Thanks again.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to ringfinger
The Cory Cats are sturdy and won't bother or be bothered by anyone. You could add them in any order. Great fish. Another option would be a pair of YoYo Loaches which are both attractive and active fish.

You might consider waiting on the plants until you upgrade the lighting.

So are you planning on cycling the tank with the Tetras? If so, then you could add them on day 2 rather than waiting a few weeks. But maybe you are planning on a fishless cycle?

Old 12-01-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

You may experience agression from the barbs in that tank. 29 is really the smallest I would put tigers in as they love open areas and a planted tank has less than a non-planted one. Just something to keep in mind. You should also raise your tetra count to at least 6.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My only concern would be that the barbs or serpaes might nip the long feeler fins of the gouramis since both species are very nippy.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
you need to actually cycle your tank with ammonia and not just let in run.
You might be overstocking your tank as well
I'd get either barbs or tetras but not both. Then you could have 8+ instead of 3 each (to avoid overstocking, if you wanted both you should get 6 serpaes and 4 or 5 barbs)

Add them in this order:
Cories
Tetras (if you get tetras)
gouramis
barbs (if you get barbs)

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to zenkatydid Send a message via AIM to zenkatydid Send a message via MSN to zenkatydid
i've had problems in the past with cories and nippy fish (serpaes specifically, but i imagine tigers would be the same). i'd go for a small bristlenose or something instead.

zenkatydid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stock, stock list

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com