Ok need some betta help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

what kind of water do you use for your betta (this is only a betta and shrimp tank)

• Distilled

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • RO/DI

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • spring

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • tap

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • purchase like petco water

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other please state

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sadielynn

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok all I am more into the salt water end of things , but the other half wanted a betta ... So alas I got him a betta the betta died today after being with us for 5 years :(
He was heart broken :( The fish has been through alot and alot of it was ignorance on our part ... I quickly learned that we needed to do right by him and soon followed our own advice ;)
Now here is whre I need some imput He thinks it was the water that killed him he wants to use tap I say no way I have an RO/DI and he is not that much more to do an extra gallon or 2
For years I was using the distilled water for him but since I got an ro/di unit I want to know will this effect him negativly ? What are some tips for another betta down the line ?
PS I cleaned everything in bleach and rinsed for over 45 minutes and soaked in dechlorinator and rinsed again ....just incase there was a disease :(

Sadie that betta outlived most. Their lifespan is usually about 3 years. Tell your better half the water was obviously just fine. Sorry for your loss but that betta live a very long and happy life obviously.

Agree with Zagz.

Anyway, I use tap. (Not particularly nice tap either-- I won't drink it unless it's been through a Brita filter.)

Got a betta, shrimp, tetras and cories. Lots of plants. No issues. My plants are actually growing like crazy... fish are happy and bright.

Thanks Zagz , bluerose I am still in shock that we lost him after 5 years .. He just went what appeared peacefully ..
I guess I just want clearance to use ro/di is it safe he says it will strip too much out ?

I am not into the planted end tho they are georgous! But Time, and money will not allow the set up so we use plastic plants :D

If you are doing betta & shrimp, I would think that tap is the way to go. You do need some minerals in the water .... carbonates/bicarbonates to buffer the pH & Ca/Mg for the shrimp's shell growth. If you were to use RO you would need to add back some of the minerals with a (FW) salt mix.

And 5 years is a long time for a betta so whatever you did before must be OK!

So I did kill his fish :( :bawl: I had been using spring water for a small time then mostly distilled and then to RO/DI over the last 10 days
What about a 50/50 mix 50 % tap and 50% RO/DI
I wanna do right by the next one :sorry:

No Sadie, old age killed the fish. As mentioned most bettas that live to 3 years are considered old. One that has made it to 5 is considered ancient!

No Sadie, old age killed the fish. As mentioned most bettas that live to 3 years are considered old. One that has made it to 5 is considered ancient!
I sure hope so :sorry: I just was surprsied that he died with in a few hours ...
I always told the other half that tap was bad (cause with salt it is :rolleyes: ) So if we can do just tap I will make sure to do a bottle water up and a few drops of dechlorinator and let it set over nite ? Will that do ?

The dechlorinator should work instantly in the tap water...no need to let it set.

I'm sure your betta had a happy life with your family...

The most commonly used dechlorinator on most forums is Prime but there are lots of good dechlorinators.

Right on, that's what I was wondering. I've just switched to using prime after finding out my water has ~.25ppm ammonia in it and aquaplus doesn't remove ammonia at all. The only thing I find hard is figuring out the right amount to use when I'm mixing it into 12L buckets..

Extra dechlor isn't a problem-- Prime can be dosed up to 5x for in-tank ammonia removal, so err on the side of extra. :)

A 12 litre bucket is about 0.3 ml of Prime. I got a medicine dosing dropper at Walmart for no charge in their pharmacy and use that to measure it out.

Back
Top Bottom