One by One - Very Long Read, but advice appreciated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jvncnt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks. As a short (but probably longer than necessary) introduction, here is the situation. 30 years ago as a kid, I decided that I wanted a fish tank. Somehow I got my hands on a used tank, my parents took me to a local store (Meijer's for those in the midwest) and we bought fake plants and fish. I poured everything and everyone into the tank and I kept the tank and its inhabitants all alive for the next 4 - 5 years before I gave it away when I was heading to college. I knew nothing about the nitrogen cycle, proper feeding, monitoring of water chemistry, etc., and ignorance was indeed bliss.

Fast forward 30 years and add in my 6 year old son deciding that he wanted a fish tank in early February 2014. Of course since good old dad kept fish as a kid and remembers how easy it was, no problem. Plus, he could learn about the life cycle, life and death, etc. We went and bought a 26 gallon bow front tank and fish, and for the first time I heard of this thing called the nitrogen cycle, but were told by the LFS don't worry about it, Zebra Danios are essentially indestructible (we don't go to this LFS ever again).

After getting things set up at home, two weeks in, start losing fish to a slow and probably painful death one at a time. For the first time, my wife and I decide to finally try learning more about the nitrogen cycle that we shouldn't have worried about according to our LFS, and I stumble upon this site. Yes, I now know about the fishless cycle, etc., and have said my mea culpas to the spirits of 5 of our original danios that died. So my 6 year old has now learned lots about death, but that lesson is getting OLD!

I buy my API test kit, add Dr. Tim's One and Only, buy my bottle of Seachem Prime, and in late February, 2014, start trying to do things the right way while trying to keep the fish that are left alive. I catch the end of what I believe was the cycle, and see that the now 3 Zebra Danios seem okay. We wait a few weeks and begin slowly adding fish. We add 3 white clouds and a nerite snail. Wait a couple more weeks and add 3 more white clouds and 6 Panda Cory. Everyone seems to be getting along well.

We do weekly 25% WC, feed small amounts of Flake Food (Omega One) nightly, supplementing every other night with either 2 sinking shrimp pellets or 1 seaweed wafer for the Cory's. Check water with API every few nights and everything is steady, steady.

We go on vacation in Mid April for one week and have a neighbor feed. Upon returning home, we have one dead Cory and Nitrates seem high (20 - 40 ppm) so I do a more aggressive WC (about 40 %). Everything normalizes, but we start losing 1 panda cory/week, and each time take our own readings with API and take water sample to supposed experts at deluxe LFS in Dublin, Oh. We are given various bits of advise like use floss instead of carbon filter, change temperature, fish can die for no reason, etc. Purchase replacements Panda Cory each time, as well, and those die out over the next few weeks, but still have 3 left.

Now to the point of the story, and thanks to anyone who has read this far. Get home last night and now one of our white clouds is dead. Throughout all of this, the white clouds have seemed perfect and never saw change in demeanor. Check the water with API and again it looks fine to me, see pictures below. The last two dead fish looked to us like they had bloody mouths, but no other outward issues, but I am no fish doctor. I have never seen signs of ich as I see in pictures at various web sites, nor do we have any ulcers, etc. on any fish.

I read somewhere on here that someone said if the water is fine and fish are dying, it is something else like a disease, etc. Well, if it is "something else", what the heck do we do? Should we medicate or treat with some kind of broad spectrum antibiotic or chemical? I understand that fish die, but I really am getting tired and sad about this slow death march that we are witnessing.

I believe an average of 1 death/week is ridiculous and wonder what we are doing wrong or if our tank has something wrong. Any and all advise is appreciated and welcomed. Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20140528_204810_468.jpg
    IMG_20140528_204810_468.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20140528_204823_371.jpg
    IMG_20140528_204823_371.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 100
Did the person watching your tank accidentally drop something in the tank or contaminate something you use in your tank? I would start running carbon if you haven't been and do large water changes just in case.

Did the person watching your tank accidentally drop something in the tank or contaminate something you use in your tank? I would start running carbon if you haven't been and do large water changes just in case.

I agree. Sounds as if something is poisoning the water.
Start to do 10% water change daily vacuuming the gravel bed if you have a gravel vac, and run activated carbon.

Plus if I'm seeing the pic correct, it looks as if your PH is too high for the freshwater fish you are keeping. That could also be the culprit. It should be in the 7's, that looks well into the 8.0+ range.
After consideration, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is the ph.

If it was a contaminate in the water then all the fish die at once. The slow death implies an internal parasite barring any external signs. I would start with trying metronidazole medicated food for 5 days as it clears out parasites and some bacterial infections.

I don't believe that anything was dropped in the tank, at least nothing that we have been told, but we certainly can't be sure since we weren't there.

Tangs27: We are not currently running activated carbon in the tank, as perhaps I misunderstood, but thought that I read in other posts on this site that such was not necessary. I can stop and buy that tonight if it would help.

PB_Smith: Thanks for your thoughts on the ph. I know it is high, but understood that such is kind of the norm for my area (central Ohio) and that steady ph was more important than the number itself. The ph has always been where it is now, albeit perhaps it is now slightly lower as in the beginning when I read this site we added some driftwood to the tank and it lowered it slightly.

Mebbid: As to the internal parasite idea, that makes the most sense to me. The fish do seem to all eat, and what is so frustrating is the slow death march. I called a LFS and was told about a mix in type of broad spectrum treatment. Do you prefer the medicated food to a mix-in type of treatment?

Thanks to all who have responded thus far. Any other thoughts are welcome!

The medicated food is by far the easiest to use. Also, the cheapest way to treat an entire tank. The fish do however have to be eating for it to work on them and it will only work on internal parasites, not external ones like ich. It really is my first resort whenever I see fish that might be sick.

I was just at a LFS buying the suggested items (carbon and food) and told them the story too. One thing I didn't mention in my original post that they thought was significant is that I gravel vac the whole tank each time I do a WC. They said this is causing a mini cycle. Although I don't see spikes in ammonia, is this a problem?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was just at a LFS buying the suggested items (carbon and food) and told them the story too. One thing I didn't mention in my original post that they thought was significant is that I gravel vac the whole tank each time I do a WC. They said this is causing a mini cycle. Although I don't see spikes in ammonia, is this a problem?

I highly doubt it. The majority of your bacteria is in your filter, and like the contaminants - more fish would be having problems

Thanks for the quick response. I should have learned not to listen to the LFS by now...

You would really only see that if you were using an under-gravel filter as your main or only filtration, and then only if you REALLY cleaned it.
BUT as someone who has always utilized an under-gravel filter, it is best to only do a section each time and rotate.
I just sifted through all my substrate to get a more uniform grain size and went through the entire thing, stripped the tank of everything except the water.
My critters are all doing wonderful, actually my snails are happier because it's easier for them to burrow now, and everything tests fine.
Plus its a salt tank with some inverts, so if I can do that to my salt tank with little or no spike in tests, I can't fathom how vaccing your substrate would kill fish.:confused:

The only way that could happen is if you NEVER vacced it and stirred up a big spot of anaerobic bacteria, but that would probably kill everything within minutes.

The best thing you can do when leaving someone in charge of your tank whilst your away is get 7 sandwich bags and put the amount of food for one feed in each per day.

I think the person you left looking after the tank has overfed the fish (this is very easy to do if you don't own fish) this would explain the excessive nitrates. There will have been a small ammonia spike which may have damaged the fishes gills and explain the slow sporadic deaths.

The second possibility but following on from the overfeeding is a drastic decline in water cleanliness couple the with a stressed fish leads to all kinds of possible disease.

Red round the mouth area definitely sounds like ammonia burn.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely do that from this point forward when we leave town! We have started the Metronidazole food and are hoping that the deaths stop. Down to one Panda Cory now.:(

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I once had a 3 year old colony of kribensis that I left to the care of neighbors for 6 days and I get a call on day 2 that they all died. Neighbors claim that all they did was give a pinch of food like I instructed. I should have just let the fish starve for 6 days. Better chances of survival...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cory like soft water.
Your pH looks real high.
That could be the cause, have you got a GH/Kh test kit?

How hot is your tank? Cool water 20-25C.

Back
Top Bottom