One Last JD Stocking Question!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KonvictKeeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok. So the plan was.

1 JD
5 Silver Dollars
1 Pictus

I was at my LFS today and fell in love with what they called a "lesser spiny eel".
The guy said it'll get up to 10". He also said it would get along with a JD.

So the question is. Could I do:

1 JD
3 Silver Dollars
1 Eel

Will they get along?
Overstocked?
Do I need the pictus?

In a 55? I'd avoid the silver dollars, they get really big and shouldn't be in a 55 long term. I know nothing about the eel but if it gets up to a modest size it should be fine with the JD.

I think giant danios would be better for that size tank, but I don't know how they'd do with the JD. I've never seen full grown giant danios though so I can't say for sure. I've never been able to keep any community type fish with my JDs, but I've only tried with a few small species and never a larger type.

The thing about the silver dollars is that they are schoolers and really should be in a bigger group and that size tank just doesn't afford much room IMO, a 75 would probably be my minimum if I chose to stock them.

I know with my EBJD I kept him in a really large tank along with a big school of danio choprae and he seemed fine, never went after them and just hid in his little barrel thing. Every morning though I would notice a danio or two with a missing or broken tail, after 2 days of that I figured out that he was hitting them while they were sleeping.

Google some info on the pictus and the eel and figure out what their size, tank/care requirements, and temperment is, and you'll have a good idea of what you are working with.

Back
Top Bottom