Open bottom or Upside down tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prob won't cut my own glass as I have never worked with glass before. Here is a rough sketch of what I have in mind.....dimensions might change an inch or two but nothing major. I want to try and keep the water volume no bigger than 50gal.

Here is my paint sketch:

Attachments

• upside down tank.jpg
    upside down tank.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 103
Hey Ryan, long time no see.

Thanks freshwater tropical, I really like it. Mine has been going for as long as the thread, no problems and my goldie seems to spend more time up there than in the bottom area.

Sketches look good by the way, hoping to see progress soon.

The important thing is that it says either 100% pure silicone or aquarium/food safe. No mold or mildew prevention additives.

I'm planning on building a fairly large open bottom, but I was interested in your lights andresdek. How did you make them?

Hey there, well since my tank was (the goldfish was moved to a new pond and the tank converted to a shrimp tank) small and low tech, I just had regular CFL light bulbs. The canopies you see I just build myself out of wood to fit my requiered space. If you are going bigger something similar could be DIY, if you post some schematics of a photo I might be able to help you out.

What has the progress been with your upside down tanks?

Did you make the other one in the illustrations?

That is so beautiful. I have seen them mostly on outdoor ponds.

Gold fish was moved to a pond and the second upside down tank didn't go ahead since I used that tank as a sump for a 50 gal. I moved to a smaller place so just a 10 gal shrimp tank for now.

No, I didn't see the need for it and as initially I set it up for aesthetics, but also to increase amount of water for my goldie without changing tank. I will move again in about 8 months so, trying to keep it simple.

Back
Top Bottom