Opinions wanted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meashkah

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm new here and wanted to run my idea by some aquarium people. I have a 20 gallon that I am currently cycling. I have bog wood and water wisteria in it right now but already want to rescape it. I was wondering if I could do a pair of apistogrammas in there with a school of tetras of some sort? Any suggestions? Is it too small for the apistogrammas?

Welcome to AA,

A 20g is perfect for a pair of Apistogramma, panduro being my favorite in that genus. With regards to the tetras they would be fine unless you want to save any fry, they are quite adept at snatching them up quickly.

Welcome to AA,

A 20g is perfect for a pair of Apistogramma, panduro being my favorite in that genus. With regards to the tetras they would be fine unless you want to save any fry, they are quite adept at snatching them up quickly.

Thank you so much for your response. That is good news. I put the combo into aqadvisor.com and it didn't give me any warnings, but I wanted to hear from some real aquarium people :)
Any other suggestions on what would work nicely with the apistogrammas?

A small school of 6-9 Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis would be very cool.

Yes! Great suggestion! Can't wait to put this together with some more thought and planning. Thanks for your help.

Good luck, don't forget to post some pictures when it's all done!

I visited my LFS today and peeked at their apistogramma selection. I love the panduros! I will post pics when I scale and stock the tank. ;)

I have a bolivian ram in my 20H. It is very hardy, active and colorful. But that is just a suggestion. I think appistos are more colorful than bolivians.

I have a bolivian ram in my 20H. It is very hardy, active and colorful. But that is just a suggestion. I think appistos are more colorful than bolivians.

I love the rams too. I heard that they are sensitive though (or maybe I'm just thinking about GBRs). It's good to hear yours is healthy and happy in your 20 high. ;)

Sorry to hijack thread. Do rams or apistogrammas NEED a planted aquarium? I mean would it be detrimental to their health for their tank not to be planted?

Sorry to hijack thread. Do rams or apistogrammas NEED a planted aquarium? I mean would it be detrimental to their health for their tank not to be planted?

No, plants are just beneficial because they help make them feel safer (they like lots of places to hide and explore) and also help keep nitrates down, which they are sensitive to. But you can do a tank with fake plants too with no problems at all.

@vespasianus
No, although I recommend a cave or something for them to hide in/under, especially during wcs or gvs when they get a bit freaked out.

I love the rams too. I heard that they are sensitive though (or maybe I'm just thinking about GBRs). It's good to hear yours is healthy and happy in your 20 high. ;)

No, my bolivian is very hardy. GBRs are the ones that die when you blink at them :lol:

I think some people give others advice about bolivians and don't actually have experience with bolivians but have had GBRs, and say that bolivians aren't easy to take care of, and need a well established tank. I don't think this is true, but they do need a good 2 weeks to settle in. Mine barely ate anything for the first week, then was fairly shy for another week, but now she is very active and quite the character. I highly recommend them. They are funny because when you put your face up to the tank they will go up to the glass and stare at you, and when you move they follow you. But the do need at leas 10 days to settle in.

EDIT: OH! I put mine in 2 months after it (the tank) finished cycling and I added fish.

No, my bolivian is very hardy. GBRs are the ones that die when you blink at them :lol:

I think some people give others advice about bolivians and don't actually have experience with bolivians but have had GBRs, and say that bolivians aren't easy to take care of, and need a well established tank. I don't think this is true, but they do need a good 2 weeks to settle in. Mine barely ate anything for the first week, then was fairly shy for another week, but now she is very active and quite the character. I highly recommend them. They are funny because when you put your face up to the tank they will go up to the glass and stare at you, and when you move they follow you. But the do need at leas 10 days to settle in.

EDIT: OH! I put mine in 2 months after it (the tank) finished cycling and I added fish.

That's is do good to know. I'm lad you had success! I've also heard that GBR are a lot of times pumped full of hormones and it makes them weaker or more susceptible to problems. Do you have a pic of your Bolivian?

That's is do good to know. I'm lad you had success! I've also heard that GBR are a lot of times pumped full of hormones and it makes them weaker or more susceptible to problems. Do you have a pic of your Bolivian?

I could take a pic but there is a lot of brown algae on the glass so you wouldn't get a good look. But I will take a few anyway.

Back
Top Bottom