Ottos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think ottos are very much hit and miss you can have everything perfect and they still die just feel good in te fact that you did all yu could whilst yu had them

I agree that otos can be hit or miss. Since most of them are wild caught, they just don't all adjust well. The difference in diet is a lot for some of them to take. Glad to hear your one little girl is doing ok still though.

absolutangel04 said:
I agree that otos can be hit or miss. Since most of them are wild caught, they just don't all adjust well. The difference in diet is a lot for some of them to take. Glad to hear your one little girl is doing ok still though.

Thank you! :) I saw a side view of her this morning and she has a nice round pudgy belly.... This is without any supplementation. She's so hyper at night.. Darting everywhere... Loops and loops lol

absolutangel04 said:
She is looking good. :) I am glad you have this healthy girl at least despite your bad luck with your other otos.

Thank you! Me too! I had pretty much lost hope and was checking for a body every morning... :-(

She's all over my plants and the colosseum and pooping constantly so she's a good eater on whatever I have in my tank...
When is the point I need to start supplementing her diet? When I see no more diatoms?
I'm actually going to get two more this week to give her some buddies...

If I was you, I would start supplementing now. Some otos are picky about eating anything but the natural algae in their tank, so if you have a picky one, its better to figure that out before she runs out of food.

absolutangel04 said:
If I was you, I would start supplementing now. Some otos are picky about eating anything but the natural algae in their tank, so if you have a picky one, its better to figure that out before she runs out of food.

Good idea! Thank you!

maestromad said:
Mine love alge wafers I've got the hikari ones and thy seem way more interested in those! :)

Can't use those..: my mollies and Berta chow down instantly... I've even put in 5-6 an all gone within 20 mins.

I can use blanched veggies... The others eat those too but some are still left in the morning. I put in 6 slices in the past..

Oh dear! I did catch my guppies munching on the wafer yesterday too! I only give them once a week, my ottos also eat the corys pellets I think they are greedy lol :)

maestromad said:
Oh dear! I did catch my guppies munching on the wafer yesterday too! I only give them once a week, my ottos also eat the corys pellets I think they are greedy lol :)

Yea imagine how much wafer "dust" pollutes tank!! :)

I just saw my Oto CHASING my smaller Black Molly, Vixen! I've never seen this before! Is it a sign she's stressed by being the only Oto in the tank and need to make getting her a few friends a priority? Or maybe the Molly was picking on her and she was giving the Molly a run for her money...?!

Mine chase the guppies around, but normally they chase each other up and down up and down! :) she probably could do with a friend or two if there is room

maestromad said:
Mine chase the guppies around, but normally they chase each other up and down up and down! :) she probably could do with a friend or two if there is room

There's room.... Just haven't gone yet this week to get 3-4 more. Been hectic with one if my dogs at the vet last week.

29g--

4 mollies, 1 Betta, 1 Oto & 3 Ghost Shrimp

Nice to know it appears to be normal behavior :)

I went and got 7 Otos today! On sale as usual for $1 each!

2 went in my 29g to join my solo Oto... Bringing it up to 3...
3 went in my 20g L
2 went in my 10g with my male Betta...

I'm keeping an eye on the Betta making sure he plays nice!

Pic! One of the new Otos in my 20g With my 4 mth old baby platy Chip ... 1/2"...

View attachment 91119

I didn't fully realize how much waste Otos produce! I know they're constantly eating, but I suppose I just didnt think about it much.
I have been cleaning my Betta tank weekly and there were only a few poos in there from him until I put the two Otos in with him... Now I think I may up his PWC to twice a week! The gravel was full of it... Just flew up the intake tube!

Back
Top Bottom