Over testing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nostromo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been testing every day since I got my 2 rams all my levels are fine, I am being over cautious or do you think one a week is fine for testing ?

I have been testing every day since I got my 2 rams all my levels are fine, I am being over cautious or do you think one a week is fine for testing ?
Rams are sensitive yes but don't be over cautious. Most important thing for rams is you must have live plants and enough hiding places. Don't change there water too much and finally the most important factor is temperature. Keep it warm. They love warm water. I have blue and German rams and I don't test my water. I keep it warm and have plants so they feel secure.

I'm sure once a week is fine. Once your tank is cycled, and your regular WC schedule is established probably no real need to test parameters very often.
I've been in the hobby a very long time and have never owned a test kit. Just try to change between 40% - 50% of the water a week, don't over feed and don't over clean your filter media.
It's also important to watch your fish and learn to recognize normal behavior and contrasting stressed behavior.

You can test twice a week. No need to be concerned after testing everyday for the whole week.:hide:
This will help you understand how nitrates add up in your tank and help you develop a regular maintenance schedule as V mentioned .IMO 50% a week should be good for most tanks not stocked too much so you should be fine with that now.It basically removes half the crap that has been produced through the week. % of water changed is % the nutrient is removed. I like to do at least a monthly 're set' and change 75-90%.I match temp and water parameters perfectly for this.
You should remember to mention you have Bolivian rams as they are not as sensitive or in need of the high temp as GBR. They do just fine at 76 or so..

As V227 said really don't bother too much for water testing. Just keep your water clean and make sure temperature is according to fish liking. I myself don't use kits much. We are freshwater guys and our setup is simple.

Even myself as someone who owns a lot of test kits, only really test every couple of weeks.

I check tap water maybe once a quarter or as the seasons change.

There is a working theory locally here that as tanks get more established, they get more ‘bullet proof’.

Most times I’m testing to track trends or if I changed something like a canister filter clean.

Back
Top Bottom