Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Overstocked?

My ten gallon tank has a betta fish, two small nerite snails, and two medium-sized panda garras. I'd like to get some neon tetras, and form what I've seen online, six is the minimum school number.

So, can I-
-Add six tetras to my tank and not be overstocked?
-Have five instead, if not six?

Thanks!

mPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'd recommend upgrading to something larger like a 20-30 gallon as your panda garras would be much happier in something that size. Then if you were to upgrade, you could get a school of 6+ neons! Bioload wise I'd say you're not overstocked but space wise, panda garras tend to get fairly large so a roomier tank is always better!

Old 02-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Overstocked?

_drago_ I've had them for a couple years, and they're only around and inch and a half long. Will they get larger? If not, do you think it would be okay to get some neons?
mPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

If they've not grown then I'd say you'd be okay to do it. Shoot for five though rather than six just to be safe
Old 02-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If they haven't grown it's due to stunting in a small tank. I'd move the Panda Garras to a 20Long or larger.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/garra-flavatra/

Then I'd decide on suitable tank mates for a Betta. I keep mine alone or with snails. I think a 10g is on the small side for Neons to move around. I've done it. But seeing mine in a large group in a bigger tank has swayed me to recommending 20g or larger for them.

There are micro Rasboras or CPDs but not sure how they'd do with a predatory Betta.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
If they haven't grown it's due to stunting in a small tank. I'd move the Panda Garras to a 20Long or larger.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/garra-flavatra/

Then I'd decide on suitable tank mates for a Betta. I keep mine alone or with snails. I think a 10g is on the small side for Neons to move around. I've done it. But seeing mine in a large group in a bigger tank has swayed me to recommending 20g or larger for them.

There are micro Rasboras or CPDs but not sure how they'd do with a predatory Betta.
I agree a 20 for neons and garras. Need the larger footprint.

Tags
overstock, overstocked, stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com