Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Hello, I see you are relatively new to the site, so welcome!
Good job on getting the larger tank. You can take the filter media (catridge, fiter pad or whatever is in the filter) out of the filter for the 10g and put it in the filter for the 26g. That will help the cycle along.
Do you have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? I recommend the API master test kit for freshwater.
You will still have to re-home some fish IMO, because that is just too many even for a 26g. But, petco will take in fish adoptions, otherwise you can try craigslist or freecycle or friends. Its cool that you have a friend who would like fish.
So, I recommend you put up some pictures of the unknown tetras so we can help you identify them and then you will know what to do with them. Don't worry about the identifying the platys though. Platys are platys, basically just different colors, so thats fine.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well i have to say, i used to have a 10 gallon with loads of guppies ( years and years ago) and they were healthy and happy so i figured i knew what i was doing. After this mess boy oh boy i have come to the conclusion that i don't know Jack schmidt about fish keeping.

After doing some reading in another part of the forum, one person posted the difference between a newbie and a noob..well i guess there is a new one to add... Newbie, noob and boob. I would be the boob.

I am going out tomorrow to buy a test kit (the person at Pet Paradise said the test kits were only for the advanced aquarium hobbiest because its very complicated) again, I am the boob for not finding this place EARLIER!

I thought i did a good thing on doing my research however this is not the case,(I'll take "whos a boob" for a thousand Alex) but thankfully my fish are still alive.

The one thing "I guess" i do right is that i take a water temp reading before I do a water change and match that up almost exactly (never off by more then .5 degrees thanks to my digital thermometer) then decholrinate the water and replace slowly and gently.

**In the end, regardless of what has happened, only I am responsible, not the LFS. One might say I made an "uneducated" mistake, but I would not agree, in MY case, i don't think I made an "uneducated" mistake, With the internet being available to me 24/7 and having a healthy amount of free time, it's just stupidity leading to a lack of PROPER research.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to everyone for taking the time out of your day to offer up all the advice and the links to the Fish In Cycle information. I really do appreciate the help.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:04 AM   #13
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Lol, that really made me laugh.
No worries, we all have to start somewhere. The important thing is that you care the fish.
Like I said, I recommend the API master kit. Its usually about $30 in a store, but its worth it. No matter what, just make sure to get a liquid kit because the test strips are total garbage.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #14

well i went out and got a 36 gallon bowfront tank from petsmart
for only 199.99 saved $80 with my card. Though i HAVE to buy this python item everyone on here is talking about, took me way look long to fill it using a 6qt container lol. (re-read the boob comment on page 1 for those that missed it)
its a little sparse now but i am picking more plants up on monday as well as a better floresent bulb that provides more UV for the plants.

I picked up an adiquate heater for it and an aquaclear 50. though it's noisier then my AC20 but hey as long as it works. i am still running my Aquaclear 20 beside it as suggested.

glad i got the ensemble because i noticed my other stand had cracked along the side wall on the inside (stupid pressboard) but the stand that came with my new tank is REAL wood

I ended up giving away some fish to my friend who was very happy to get a ten gallon kit ( minus the filter for now) and some fish.

(yes i forgot the test kit but a buddy of mine is going o pick one up for me later today)

Again folks, thanks very much for being patient and helping me out.
I really appreciate it.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by torstar View Post
I'll take "whos a boob" for a thousand Alex
Oh man, I spit up on my monitor!
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #16
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

No prob. The tank is looking nice so far. It will be awesome if you can get a few more plants. Yeah, filling a tank with buckets SUCKS!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
Oh man, I spit up on my monitor!
Hahahaha gladad you got a laugh out of it!

Tags
overstock, overstocked

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com