Overstocked or stock more?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IssyDizzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there, I have a 12 and a half gallon (48 litres.) It currently holds three neons... I used to have nine. That stinks... !

Anyway I also have three mollies. Can I add more and if I can what can I add and how many

I like betta fish, guppies ( but not with bettas!) harlequins, glow light tetras and rummy nose.

The general rule is 1gal of water per inch of the fish. Keep in mind how big each fish will get as you don't want to have to rehome fish due to running out of space when the become full grown.

Well tetras can grow to about 2in and mollies up to 4in so I'd say your good where ur at. If u decide to overstock tho make sure u have good filtration and reg water changes :)

If your not super fond of your mollies I'd recommend rehoming them for endlers they are bright colorful fish give off low waste and max 2in growth.

The general rule is 1gal of water per inch of the fish. Keep in mind how big each fish will get as you don't want to have to rehome fish due to running out of space when the become full grown.

This general rule is rubbish. What if you had one 12" fish, would that fit in your tank?

your 12 gallon tank can take a few more fish. Mollys have a higher bioload (generate more waste) than the tetras.

Go to www.aqadvisor.com and start there. Its a pretty handy stocking calculator for the beginner.

This general rule is rubbish. What if you had one 12" fish, would that fit in your tank?

your 12 gallon tank can take a few more fish. Mollys have a higher bioload (generate more waste) than the tetras.

Go to www.aqadvisor.com and start there. Its a pretty handy stocking calculator for the beginner.

That's perfect thanks

It's what I have always been told and my tanks are always considered "overstocked" because of it lol. I just have extra filtration and do reg water changes.

I'm pretty sure mollies need a minimum of 30g because of their activity level. Also if you have sailing mollies I believe that they can grow to be 6 inches.

Pending on the load, when I had a 20g with several mollies vand platys I did 20% every two wks. Seemed to work well. I have since upgraded.

Mollies may be only a few inches long, but they are thick bodied fish and are not even comparable to a tetra of the same size. You have to take into consideration their other features. Mollies are messy fish and I wouldn't keep one in anything smaller than a 20g. Maybe consider switching them out with a smaller cousin? How about some guppies instead? This way you could probably add in some other fish as well. But as of now, I wouldn't add anything else.

That's not true at all maybe one fish over will be ok but the inch-a-gallon rule works for everything but neon tetras and cichlids

You might want to add another neon or two. But then stop adding. You are at about 90% stocking level right now I would say. Maybe 95. Neons are schooling fish so they need more than three.

For what it's worth, mollies really aren't suitable for a 12 gallon tank. If you have ever seen an adult molly, you will get what I mean.

Fishbay said:
That's not true at all maybe one fish over will be ok but the inch-a-gallon rule works for everything but neon tetras and cichlids

No, I promise you phin is right on this one. The inch per gallon rule is nonsense that keeps getting regurgitated in the hobby for whatever reason. It is a gross oversimplification that fails to take into account any factors that one should consider for stocking, such as temperament, dietary needs, preferred temperature range, preferred area in the tank, preferred pH and hardness ranges, and on and on.

Last edited:

So does it work for a common pleco or an arowana?

Does the inch-per-gallon rule still hold the same on a 20 gallon long as a 20 gallon tall?

What about a 40 breeder and a 40 column?

Just wondering.

So does it work for a common pleco or an arowana?

Does the inch-per-gallon rule still hold the same on a 20 gallon long as a 20 gallon tall?

What about a 40 breeder and a 40 column?

Just wondering.

No this wouldn't work for a common pleco. A common pleco gets to be 20 inches long, sometimes a little longer. A common pleco is to
big for even a 55g which is 48 inches long. The inch per gallon rule should not even be used.

Back
Top Bottom