Overstocking? 20 gallon Betta community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EagerBetta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello im a bit new to this and i was thinking if 10 neon tetras, 7 rasboras, 5 corydoras, a few shrimp, and a male betta would be too much for a 20 gallon tall I havent gotten the fish yet, the tank will be planted and have lots of small caves for fish to hide

I'm thinking it should be okay for total stocking level, you may run into some compatibility issues however.

Those shrimp will be slowly picked off, unless you have a massive colony to start off with. The tetra/rasbora may nip at the betta, I have noticed when keeping bettas in "larger" tanks (compared to 5.5 and 2.5 gals) they don't seem out and about showing off their colors as much. Every betta is different tho.

Any tetra/rasbora species could pose nipping issues on fish with long fins (like the betta) but usually they aren't too bad. Corys are safe with shrimp and bettas.

I like a single larger school of a species rather than multiple smaller schools of different species. That much is up to you decide. Like I said the total stocking seems fine, but shrimp may be slowly picked off and there always is a small risk of nipping at the bettas fins.

Back
Top Bottom