Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2006, 03:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have returned the fish to the breeder, and I would say about 1/4 of the fish in their tank were gasping too, The gills however werent red. Neither were the loaners.
I do have a pretty good amount of oxygen agitation in the tank with a air stone, a bubble wall and a sponge biological filter.
Just as a check I took a sample into a chain type LPS and the ph measured 7.2, the amonia wasnt readable and neither were the nitrites, but the nitrates were coming up.
Not to clear myself of doubt in my fish wrangling but I am wondering if these fish that died were doomed from the start. I mentioned before that the tank they came from was none too clean and was stuffed with fish. When I did return the fish to the breeders I really had a good look at them. Many had deformities of the eyes and fins. One had its tail chew right off. As well I counted 15 laying on the bottom gasping in obvious distress. Two were being consumed post mortem. Really gross. And I asked about salt as I had been told there to add salt as well, and the answer I got was to just use coarse pickling salt as aquarium salt was too expensive.
I am beginning to think that even though I did use the fish to cycle the tank, ( something I will never do again, too hard on my concience.) Maybe these fish were already badly stressed and it was just too much for them to handle.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:40 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfanatic
Their is such a thing as "too clean". If the fish were coming from 160 Nitrates and put in 0 Nitrates, it can cause shock. But that is if they are using to living in high Nitrates.
Is this really true? I'm thinking to myself that if I lived in a room that had a high (insert bad gas) content and all of a sudden it got vented and the room was now full of clean fresh air, I might be shocked that someone was nice enough to do that for me, but I don't think I'd go into shock. Of course, I'm not a fish.

What's a typical nitrate toxic level anyway?

That being said, it's still kinda irrevelant, since he's been doing PWC's all along. His tank has always been clean. The only shock his fish would likely have recieved would be due to transport and reacclimation.

I'm interested in a response about the nitrates, seeing as I don't buy this too clean thing. Yah, stability is one thing, like when you're talking about pH, or the like, but nitrates? The nitrates fluctuate all the time in my tank with PWC's.

Tags
clean, partial water change, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com