Patty and Johnnys new Juvenile Tiger Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patty1980

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got this little guy/girl about 2 weeks ago. About 3 inches if that right now. We are growing him out alone in our 55g. I was wondering how long he could comfortably stay in this tank? Will probably get a 75 or 90g when the time comes. He already knows us and follows us around the tank. We love him already! The cat is thrilled.

We are feeding every 6-8 hours Omega sinking cichlid pellets (only as much as he aggressively goes after). He has taken frozen bloodworms a couple of times very well. Today I went out and got red wigglers and Hikari protein sticks. Anything you might add? Crickets?

I've got 2 Aqueon Quietflow 50's running, with 2 heaters set at 80. Parameters are good 8.2-0-0-20. I was planning on 2 50% wc weekly to keep nitrates less than 20. Got about 60 lbs Tahitian moon sand in and a ceramic bowl for him to hide under. I want to purchase holey rock for the scape eventually. But he really likes to hide for now.

Here is Shredder. He is shy while digesting his worm. I want him to be spoiled and happy and grow huge! Any and all pointers wanted and appreciated!

Attachments

• 1418155579310.jpg
    1418155579310.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 198
Sounds like you have it down for the most part. I would skip the holey rock and do drift wood and maybe some fake plants until he starts moving them around then its up to you if you want to replant them daily, leave them float (as I do with my larger fish) or take them out. As far as the up grade I would say by 6 or 7" and if he is 3" now you probably only have about 4 or 5 months to upgrade. Watch your nitrates as he grows so will they. Over all I'm glad it sounds like you have done your research.

Nice pick up!! can't wait to see the grow out:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds like you have it down for the most part. I would skip the holey rock and do drift wood and maybe some fake plants until he starts moving them around then its up to you if you want to replant them daily, leave them float (as I do with my larger fish) or take them out. As far as the up grade I would say by 6 or 7" and if he is 3" now you probably only have about 4 or 5 months to upgrade. Watch your nitrates as he grows so will they. Over all I'm glad it sounds like you have done your research.

That's actually perfect. My fav lfs says they are going to start doing used hardware business/trade for those of us too afraid to do craigslist (me). So, hopefully find nice used equipment through them.

Mike, driftwood over rock scape because he is still small or that is their preferred set up regardless? Maybe I'm focusing on too much on hard/soft water conditions.....

Oh yeah, another question. He flashes his bright colors sometimes (when he thinks we aren't looking) then kinda dulls out most of the time. What do you think that means?

Holey rock I believe will raise pH and is more for African tanks. You could do some large river type rocks and roots.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My large hybrid will sleep in this at night. When he gets big you don't want anything that he can knock over and get hurt or crack the tank. Besides that there won't be a lot of room when he get full grown.

Attachments

• 1418171516605.jpg
    1418171516605.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 160
I did think to not purchase glass heaters ;) Yours looks like a brute, awesome!

You are welcome and mike is fine. No need for sir. Lol.
Maybe someone can move this to the cichlid section so more Oscar people will see it.

Yeah, I was wondering how it ended up here. I started it under cichlids. Thanks Mike. LOL, my "sir" is more of a funny Jay and Silent Bob type slant. I'm a dork.

Lol that's cool

Oscars are great. Mine used to eat out of my hand. Sounds like you really did your research.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh yeah, another question. He flashes his bright colors sometimes (when he thinks we aren't looking) then kinda dulls out most of the time. What do you think that means?
Oscars are giant babies. He just needs to get used to you. Mine played dead any time I came near the tank for a month. He still does when I do water changes.

I had one many years ago in my younger days. They really are like fishy puppy dogs. Just a warning way back when I used to feed feeder goldfish and taught him to jump and take it out of my fingers but a couple of times he met me before I got to the tank. EEK. fortunetly he survived both attempts at flight but be careful what you teach him. You will love having him. Alison

Yeah, I got all excited to teach him that, then was advised not to for that very reason. I got a cool short video if him taking an earth worm a minute ago, can't figure out how to post it......

Yeah, I got all excited to teach him that, then was advised not to for that very reason. I got a cool short video if him taking an earth worm a minute ago, can't figure out how to post it......

Upload to u tube then post the link. Make sure the video is public.

Back
Top Bottom