penguin bio wheel filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
HI, I have a filter question. hopefully someone is familiar with my filter - marineland penguin 150. I have a 20 gallon tank. I am in the middle of doing a fish IN cycle and got me an angles plus active filter. I have cut it up and stuffed it in my filter.

so here is my question: the part where the water flows out of the filter into the tank. next to it is a small "hole" where water can come out also. BEFORE I added the angels active filter stuff I never noticed water coming out of this other hole, now I do. I am now thinking that I have stuffed so much stuff in there that it is not acutally circulating any water through that filter. the bio wheel is still turning and water is still flowing out of the big space, but water is also coming out of the smaller hole too.

if I remove some of the extra angels plus filter stuff I can reduce or actually eliminate the water from coming out of this little hole. so what should I be doing?
did I add too much of the angels plus filter so that it is not actually circulating any water through it?

I have the same filter, mine will do that to but I don't worry about it as long as the wheel is turning and water is still filtering thru. Then when I wc and clean stuff off it, it'll start flowing normal again. Just keep an eye on the wheel sometimes it'll stop turning. It'll be ok once u take that seeded filter out.

I have the same filter, mine will do that to but I don't worry about it as long as the wheel is turning and water is still filtering thru. Then when I wc and clean stuff off it, it'll start flowing normal again. Just keep an eye on the wheel sometimes it'll stop turning. It'll be ok once u take that seeded filter out.

well, that is kinda the question I have - IS the water filtering through or just running over the side and turning the wheel?

HeatherW said:
well, that is kinda the question I have - IS the water filtering through or just running over the side and turning the wheel?

U can look in the top to see it coming thru. But yea its still filtering

That is the overflow outlet. It's there so water goes back into the tank and not onto the floor when the media gets clogged up. As long as the wheel is turning things are ok, but it is not filtering as efficiently as it could. IMO, I would remove just enough to stop water from coming out the overflow. Put the bits you removed into a media bag of some sort and hang it near the filter intake.

That is the overflow outlet. It's there so water goes back into the tank and not onto the floor when the media gets clogged up. As long as the wheel is turning things are ok, but it is not filtering as efficiently as it could. IMO, I would remove just enough to stop water from coming out the overflow. Put the bits you removed into a media bag of some sort and hang it near the filter intake.

thanks! that is what I was thinking of doing... figured it was not being as efficient as it could be

thanks! that is what I was thinking of doing... figured it was not being as efficient as it could be

Back
Top Bottom