pH and ammonia frustrations!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khoef

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started a 10g for my daughter's birthday in January with a handful of guppies. Long story short, since then all but one adult has died (box store fish). Bonus though, every single female had a near dozen babies literally right before they died. So I have, um like 40 babies of varying but rapidly growing sizes and one adult female in this 10g tank. I'm probably paying more attention to the water chemistry than is necessary because I am nervous, as the numbers are very healthy--except for the pH. I have tried to lower the level with API chemicals to no avail. We live in the country, have extremely heavy clay soils and have our own well. Straight from the faucet, the pH is 8+. The pH increased even more in the tank though and I don't know why. The only thing I have been able to possibly point a finger at is the Marineland Diamond Blend ammonia neutralizing carbon mix. Its got white "carbon" (?) in it and no matter how I Google it, I cant find what that actually is and if its the cause for change. If it's a limestone or something? but my ammonia is very well managed so I am hesitant to change anything as the fish do not seem affected by the pH.

Because of the rapid and exponential growth of the 10g family, I got a 20g tank a couple of months ago to cycle and move the babies over. Unfortunately, I can't get a handle on the Nitrite and Nitrate levels. I've researched how to set these up and the new-fangled way to do it without fish (I raised fish for 20 yrs with no idea what I was doing using an old carbon/floss filter, my last goldfish lived to be 12yrs old so I had a false sense of knowledge going in again). I've done daily partial wc, chemicals, filter media from the old tank; I swear-- I feel I have done everything I've read to no avail. The ammonia levels just keep going up. Now the tank has been up well over a month or two and its still so dangerous for the fish I may as well throw it all out. I have live plants that are thriving, have added API nitrifying bacteria, Prime...I even added another filter in there from the old tank just to cycle water through faster (a 10/30 and a 20) with plenty of stuff for the bacteria to grow on plus, in, around and the two stage filters. I've spent hundreds trying to make this safe and now I am just plain mad. :confused:HELP!

Hello :)

Wow what a mess! Sorry you are having trouble. Unless your pH is above 8.4 I wouldn't worry about. If it is, I would use some peat moss in a bag in the filter to help naturally lower it. Tannins released from driftwood will also lower pH, and actually fish enjoy the tannins. Though, many people don't like the look of the tank as tannins turn the water brown. API chemicals will adjust the pH BUT they are only temporary and you have to keep adding more... This is why natural methods just as those listed above are better because they will keep the pH stable.

Now about your new tank...
If you are doing a Fishless cycle and have used seeded filter media..
I would halt everything. No more fancy chemicals or water changes. You want the ammonia to build up so the bacteria can feed off of it and grow. You can provide an ammonia source through several different methods:
1. Hardware store ammonia- this stuff is about 10% ammonia and it's best to not even let it touch your skin. It does a great job though and is what I used to cycle my 75g Fishless. It will look something like this. It costs only a few dollars(despite the picture that says higher) there are online calculators to determine how much to dose for your size tank.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430928448.299405.jpg

2. Fish food/store bought shrimp- use a pantyhose and fill it up with fish flakes or whatever, or use a cocktail shrimp/frozen shrimp. Both of these as they deteriorate into the water will give you a good ammonia source.

3. I would recommend a Liquid Test Kit if you do not already have one. They are way more accurate than test strips and you will need it as you progress through the cycle.

I really hope this helps and maybe others will chime in to help as well :)

Caleb

If you are not able to keep the ph down, another solution would be investing on a RO system.

I have well water with a GH of 20 and KH off the charts. Water comes out 7.5 or so and 48 hours later hits 9.0+. So I'm using RO water. If you want to go this route i can offer some suggestions just let me know. Do you know what your well wasted KH is? Also IME with high KH "natural" pH reducers have very little effect on lowering pH. I have buffered RO water with a KH of about 4 and I have both driftwood and peat granules in the tank and I still see a gradual pH rise from about 7.25 at WC to 7.75 in 7 days. But the fish don't seem to be bothered by this and now I track and worry more about TDS then pH. I've spent a couple months trying all different combinations and running different tests. Let me know if I can help. What testing equipment do you have and what else do you know about your water parameters?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom