PH & Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somethings Fishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If I cycle my tank at PH 8.2, what my tap water is, will it effect the bacteria colonies when I hook up my co2 & the PH drops to the 7.2 where I know it will end up? I've had this tank & co2 system running before. That's how I know where my PH will end up.

Just off the top of my head I would say to add the plants and CO2 when you feel there is a week or so to go in the cycle. This will give the time for the bacteria to adjust to the new pH level.

Idea being it will not have a ton of extra environmental variables when you add the fish... sort of give the BB time to acclimate instead of changing everything at once.

I have had my pH drop from almost 8 down to a 7, over a week or two time (using driftwood, not a chemical) and it didn't harm my fish/plants and I didn't go through a mini cycle... so I take it that the bacteria didn't mind.

unless youre ph is something off the charts, it wont affect the cycle... if you monitor the ph throughout the cycle, it will bounce all over the place...

heheh wow I am learning something :)

Just checking the chem levels in the 30 g I am cycling.... seems stalled :(

From what I've read, dont let the pH drop too far from 6.5 as the good bacteria doesn't like it (in other words, dead bacteria)

Back
Top Bottom