Ph balances?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LozzyBear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all :)
I've just finished cycling my tank, but noticed the ph was a bit high (just above 8.2) so I was just wondering what I can do to lower(?) the ph to about 7..? I'm not sure if that's a good number to aim for.
I know certain fish thrive in slightly acidic and others more alkaline, but if I want a mix of community fish should I aim for a pH of around 7?

Thanks in advance ^_^

LozzyBear x

Well.. I'm not 100% sure yet...!
I've got 2 mollies and 2 plecos and a random fish at the moment... My guppies died (I've explained all in another post if you did need the full(ish) story) and the random came in the bag with the plecos. I think I've just got normal plecos but I didn't realise they could grow so big! :/
I'm worried they'll grow too big now..

Your pH Question

Hi all :)
I've just finished cycling my tank, but noticed the ph was a bit high (just above 8.2) so I was just wondering what I can do to lower(?) the ph to about 7..? I'm not sure if that's a good number to aim for.
I know certain fish thrive in slightly acidic and others more alkaline, but if I want a mix of community fish should I aim for a pH of around 7?

Thanks in advance ^_^

LozzyBear x

Hello Loz...

Unless you keep and breed rare fish species, you don't need to fret over pH, hardness or any of that. The majority of freshwater aquarium fish will adapt to the majority of public water supplies. Just treat your tap water for ammonia, chlorine and chloramine.

It would be a mistake to try to maintain specific water properties. If you want to lower your water's pH a little, naturally, then get some pieces of driftwood. If you can get some from the local lake or river areas, those look and work the best.

B

A common pleco will not be fine. They grow up to 2ft and require a huge tank just for one. I would suggest returning the plecos if they are commons or make plans now to rehome them in the near future.

Really? I always heard they can be in twenty gallons or more. Thanks for telling me that though.

I believe a bristlenose pleco would be ok in a 29g. The brown/spotty looking guys you see in most chain stores are the commons that grow monsterous- a local lfs of mine has a couple that are close to 2ft and almost as thick around as a coffee can. Big fish that need a really big tank! :)

+1 on pleco size

Yup I have to agree about common plecos getting huge. We just had one that was 2ft long die recently of old age (he was nearly 19 years old).

jlk said:
I believe a bristlenose pleco would be ok in a 29g. The brown/spotty looking guys you see in most chain stores are the commons that grow monsterous- a local lfs of mine has a couple that are close to 2ft and almost as thick around as a coffee can. Big fish that need a really big tank! :)

That's scary! I may have to give my CP his own tank one day according to this post!

Oh dear, I didn't know they could grow that big!
Mines brown and spotty so I'm guessing it's a common one. The shop actually suggested 2 for my tank to keep it clean....

Oh dear, I didn't know they could grow that big!
Mines brown and spotty so I'm guessing it's a common one. The shop actually suggested 2 for my tank to keep it clean....

Lots of us learn the hard way not to trust the people at the pet store.

I remember getting into it in a petstore in my teens with a guy that worked there that had a tank filled with male bettas. Like 6 in a tank and they were attacking each other. He kept trying to tell me they were females. :nono:

Back
Top Bottom