PH dropping during cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Idk if anyone is still following this but, my tank is now fully cycled. These ph problems have persisted the last 3 weeks and I've been adding baking soda to maintain it around 7.6. I'm going to be adding fish either today or tomorrow so I don't how to maintain 7.5 once there are fish in. I have the aragonite sand but I have gravel so I don't want to just put it in my tank as it won't look right. I would add it to my filters but I only have a couple tetra whisper carbon/bio filters and there's no where to put it in there. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do??

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Aragonite buffers pH up more. It would hit 8.0 with ease. Just leave the pH alone your fish will adapt to it. Acclimate them in the bag till the temperatures in the bag and in the tank match then start drip acclimation. Add a few drops at a time for about 30-60 mins. That should ensure they are safely acclimated to the conditions of the tank. Also turn off the tank lights to reduce stress during acclimation.

There's no reason to change the pH unless it's below 6.0 or above 9.0. Unless you are keeping fish like wild caught natives or wild discus. The fish at the store will adjust.

Caleb

My water drops from 7.6 to 6 in what seems like overnight. And that's just what the API test kit shows. There's a chance it's lower than that. So I definitely need a way to keep the ph from dropping to or below 6 before I add fish. It was suggested that I add with enough aragonite sand to just maintain what I need but I don't have anywhere to put it so I need another option and Google isn't really helping so far lol

I would just get another filter such as Aquaclear. They have tons of space inside and you can put as much sand in bags in there as you want to act as a buffer.

Caleb

I suppose that's an option but I'm not really interested in having to cycle another filter. These took 3 months to cycle already. Are there rocks or anything that I could add that will help maintain around 7.5ish? I have some places I could tuck rock away if that's an option

Baking soda will instantly raise your pH and will buffer well. I'd recommend adding 1/4 teaspoon at a time, and checking the pH 15 min afterwards. And be sure that it's pure baking soda with no additives.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I can deal with adding baking soda. I just didn't think it was good to do when there's fish in there

I suppose that's an option but I'm not really interested in having to cycle another filter. These took 3 months to cycle already. Are there rocks or anything that I could add that will help maintain around 7.5ish? I have some places I could tuck rock away if that's an option

You won't have to monitor it. Just throw it on and the BB will build up on their own. No effects on the tank.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom