PH dropping during cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjrossi88

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm still in my cycle period and I just did my tests and my PH is coming in between 6.4 and 6.6. From the research I did before starting I know my optimal PH should be 7.0-8.0 to keep the nitrification prices moving. Any suggestions on how to raise the ph back up without hurting my cycle??

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A handful of aragonite sand will buffer your water nicely. You can put it into the filter or directly into the tank.

Thanks! Any idea how high that would raise ph?? After the cycle I want to have it between 7.0-7.5 for the fish I plan to keep. Would I need to remove it? I've seen the API Proper Ph in stores. Do you recommend or have any experience with that?

Thanks! Any idea how high that would raise ph?? After the cycle I want to have it between 7.0-7.5 for the fish I plan to keep. Would I need to remove it? I've seen the API Proper Ph in stores. Do you recommend or have any experience with that?

Just a handful shouldn't raise your pH too much. Definitely stay away from any chemicals that mess with your pH. It's much more important to have consistant pH than to have the right pH, and those chemicals can often run amuck with your water chemistry in various ways. That said, leaving the aragonite/crushed coral in should keep your water right in that range.

Just a handful shouldn't raise your pH too much. Definitely stay away from any chemicals that mess with your pH. It's much more important to have consistant pH than to have the right pH, and those chemicals can often run amuck with your water chemistry in various ways. That said, leaving the aragonite/crushed coral in should keep your water right in that range.

Awesome! Gonna run out right now. I'll just sprinkle it throughout the tank itself. Thanks for the help!!

Are you fish-in or fishless? If fishless I would just recommend put in some baking soda, it is the perfect fishless cycle buffer. But fish-in I agree with sinibotia.

I'm fishless. I've had the sand in for 2 days. Not very much. The last 2 years haven't shown much change. I'll try the baking soda if it still isn't changed later. Do you have a recommendation on how much baking soda to use?

I would usually do a teaspoon per 10g if fishless. It might be more than enough. Luckily with fishless it can be a very "ish" process. Baking soda will cap it out around 8.4 which is still a great cycling ph so you can't really screw it up. If you want the ph less, add less and let it run then test it. That will likely kick back in your cycle really nicely.

Now keep in mind at the end of your cycle, if using baking soda you'll want to do as big a WC as you can to get it out. Not because it specifically hurts but because most people including me don't advocate using chemicals to change your pH. It is fabulous to help your fishless cycle not stall but you wouldn't use that once you have fish.

The aragonite/crushed coral will be great in your established tank as a pH buffer.

Now keep in mind at the end of your cycle, if using baking soda you'll want to do as big a WC as you can to get it out. Not because it specifically hurts but because most people including me don't advocate using chemicals to change your pH. It is fabulous to help your fishless cycle not stall but you wouldn't use that once you have fish.

The aragonite/crushed coral will be great in your established tank as a pH buffer.

Welcome back.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Welcome back.

Oh hey were your ears ringing? What was that equation for how much baking soda? You know the specific amount right?

You better start your project soon and you might actually get me posting a bunch, I'm feeling in the mood!

Oh hey were your ears ringing? What was that equation for how much baking soda? You know the specific amount right?

You better start your project soon and you might actually get me posting a bunch, I'm feeling in the mood!

Hmm actual equation? I'd have to go through my bookmarks.

Perhaps this may be a fairly good start but I would run my own tests to validate this link first.

The experiment starts ASAP if you vow to be my Penfold on this one.

This is starting to turn into fish lingo I don't understand haha. I think I'll try 1tsp per 15gal just as a base and see what happens. And then I'll have to figure out how much aragonite I'll need to maintain the ph after the cycle. Unfortunately I didn't do any exact measuring when I added the current aragonite but I know I filled a solo cup 3/4 the way up, rinsed, then added to tank. I guess I'll start there lol. Thanks for all the help!!

Ha sorry! We'll move that discussion elsewhere. I think that seems like a fine amount, I even looked at the link Caliban provided there and that's going to boost your kH just about perfectly.

The nice thing about using coral/aragonite is it is self-regulating. It won't just raise the pH forever, eventually it will just hold steady. I can't remember its usual hold-steady spot but it's a fine spot for most fish. So you can't screw it up too badly.
Using the API test if you aim for 3-5 drops for kH you have a good amount of coral/aragonite

Awesome advice! Thanks again for the help. Will update with results

Yes the speed in which the kh increases really depends on the acidity of your water. Obviously the more acidic the faster the coral will erode and be released in to the water buffering it. As the ph rises the erosion slows down until it peters out. Then it will just kind of trickle buffer holding it steady. Again not sure on the ph value.

Added baking soda last night at 1tbs per 15 gal. Tested this morning and tonight and coming in at 7.4ish!! Will keep testing ever 12 hours to maintain that. Also seems to have really jump started that nitrite. Processed ammonia twice as fast today than it has in the last week! Looks like I'm almost there!! Now just have to determine how much aragonite I'm going to need to maintain pH after fish are added. Thanks again for your help!!

I know this is off my topic but I did my test tonight and my tank is currently processing 4ppm of ammonia in 16-20 hours. My nirites have been off the charts for 3 days but my nitrates are still only around 5-10 ppm. Is that normal??

Back
Top Bottom